Kessil a360we or a160we for nano

gt5500

OK so I know this may be a little overkill but I have been offered either a used a360we or a used a160we for the same price. My tank is only a fluval m40 nano (approx 12x16x12 deep, 13gal or 54l)
and currently only has a zoa colony but I'm looking to branch out to lps, possibly in time some of the easier sps.
My question is as they are the same price is better to get the better a360we and run it at low power or will I have problems with heat and bleaching corals for example. Also does a 90w fixture running at low intensity use the same sort of power as lower wattage fixture? Thanks.

If they're they same price, and that price is fair, I'd definitely get the A360. You can turn the intensity down for your small tank and have plenty of head room if you upgrade. It'll also extend the life of the LED array since you're driving it well below max power.

On a small tank, both lights should grow anything. The 360 is overkill for your current tank and I'd never recommend you buy something like that at full retail when a cheaper option is available. When the price is the same and the light is adjustable, go big.

It's like being offered a 22oz ribeye and a 12oz ribeye for the same price. You might only be hungry enough for a 12oz, but you'd get the 22oz and have lunch the next day. Consider the 360's overhead as lunch for when/if you upgrade.

Back