Kid Tried Feeding!

jball

Ok so my tank has been doing really well until my g/f daughter put my full can of flake food into my tank this morning! I have taken almost all of of it out also cleaned my filter and the LFS said to do a 30% water change to be safe but I did about 12%. The water is cloudy still but want some input on what more should I do more water change of 18% or wait and see if it clears

I would go ahead and do another water change. I would certainly test your params over the next few days. If you start to get an ammonia peak, you may want to continue with water changes until it subsides.

I would definately do another large water change. Start testing your water parameters as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9227313#post9227313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Conceyted
Also, make sure you let her know not to do that again.

my fish got half a peanut and jelly sandwhich in the sump, do some water changes and test youll be ok

Thanks guys! I'm test levels now and will do more water changes! How much should do in one time? And how long to wait until next water change?

25% at one shot is fine, and I'd wait at least a few hours to do another. Be sure to match the SG carefully. I'd watch the ammonia closely, since that's the most likely problem to encounter.

In the future you may want to put all food, additives, ect. for the tank out of the reach of little ones.

I have all additives and test out of reach but thought keeping flake food in fridge would help last longer but now having her around I will care less about how long it will last. Thanks for the input! I checked levels and the ammonia has spiked to 0.50 which i did finish the total of 30% of a water change again thanks for the help! :)

Well, some Amquel might help keep the animals from suffering from the ammonia, although it will confuse test kits. I'd add some if there were any signs of trouble.

water change then dump the girl .. or make her put the kid up for adoption :p

kids and this hobby dont seem to mix well

amquel may be a good idea if you for now till you can do another water change

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9228604#post9228604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.T.T.R
water change then dump the girl .. or make her put the kid up for adoption :p

kids and this hobby dont seem to mix well

amquel may be a good idea if you for now till you can do another water change
Thats not nice :eek: put safety locks on cabinet doors (if you have the sump under your tank, or whatever and keep fish food and all out of her reach. Than enplane to her not to feed the fish anything. Good luck!

A buddy of mine's 5yr old son dumped a pitcher of super sugary cherry coolaid in his 240gal's sump. All corals and fish perished within a day. Needless to say, he now has a 240gal goldfish tank until his kids get older.

Hopefully this won't happen to you. I would crank the skimmer up to super wet and let it pull out a few gallons of water, just be sure to replace it with new saltwater in the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9229416#post9229416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
A buddy of mine's 5yr old son dumped a pitcher of super sugary cherry coolaid in his 240gal's sump. All corals and fish perished within a day. Needless to say, he now has a 240gal goldfish tank until his kids get older.

Hopefully this won't happen to you. I would crank the skimmer up to super wet and let it pull out a few gallons of water, just be sure to replace it with new saltwater in the tank.

I'd drain the tank and put the kid in it until he got older.

Kids are so helpful. ;)I know when I have my nieces staying with me I bring the food upstairs and put it in the cupboard so they won't be tempted to 'help' me.

Kids are going to be kids.....You just have to take things as they go. You can still be in this hobby and have your children around you just have to be careful about them being around a tank. I have my saltwater setup in my bedroom which my children know are off limits. And until they get older that is where it will stay.

But as far as what you should do...I would just keep check on the ammonia and do the water changes as suggested.

Back