Kiss

= keep it simple, silly!

I don't comment as much as I used to.
And I don't see many asking questions they should be asking.
This is not directed at any one specific individual.

Hey- I'm not afraid to ask how to program a TV.
There is no such thing as a dumb question!

soapbox bonus

soapbox bonus

replicate and expound upon the past successes of others.
Learn from ALL mistakes.

There's more than one way to get from point A to point B but don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Oooooo! I have a question Gary.

Redoing my tank as you've seen. Any chance I could qdd my two fish from my frag tank to my display without any death or carnage brought on by my purple tang?

The 2 I'd be introducing are a scopas tang and a large two barred rabbit. Ill be Redoing rock work too

kiss back at ya lol

Last edited:
B

B

You KNOW scopas and purple won't KISS

Whether or not there's carnage or death ... Who knows?
Definitely carnage. Probably no death.

But that is pure speculation!

Jmo

Jmo

Just my opinion :
Keep an open mind but Seek advice from those that know what they're doing.
Too often I see people posting questions in the new to the hobby forum and getting replies from others that haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Just my opinion :
Keep an open mind but Seek advice from those that know what they're doing.
Too often I see people posting questions in the new to the hobby forum and getting replies from others that haven't a clue what they're talking about.

you taking a poke at me Gary ??

Not poking fun at anybody in this thread

So many times I get a call to help try and fix an aquarium system that was set up wrong from the jump.
It's extremely frustrating.

I wish I asked more questions from the beginning. A lot that I know now I learned the hard way over the last three years. So I've learned to always ask questions. And especially with a hobby like saltwater aquariums it's impossible to know everything so always ask because someone on here will know from experience. Especially being part of URS there are some brilliant experienced reefers(not sucking up ha) to learn from. Technology now puts people like me at a huge advantage to learn from others.

What? We can't just spend a load of money on things, pay what it costs to get a good dog on coral frags, and have a totm in six months?

First thing simple thing one should do is buy a couple good books and actually read them before they trust a bunch of Internet users for answers.

Reefkeeping is such a rapidly developing hobby, all of the books I've ever read were at least, in part, behind the times. Places like RC really are, if you can sift through the nonsense, a great resource.

Reefkeeping is such a rapidly developing hobby, all of the books I've ever read were at least, in part, behind the times. Places like RC really are, if you can sift through the nonsense, a great resource.

Please explain anything that has changed in the last ten years. I'm sure some things have, but are they game changers? Books by the Calfo, Borneman, Wilkerson... have so much great information they raise one's basic learning curve far better when compared to weeding out all the interweb bs.

Ten years ago, Trickle filters were just about a thing of the past. European aquarists were already dosing carbons like sugar and alcohol. Controllers were coming on great guns to the market. T5 and LED lighting wasn't in use yet, but good lighting was, and to date neither has surpassed mh w/t12 for overall performance. So what has changed about keeping a tank? We need to ask the Dinosaurs here if any of their fundamentals have significantly changed at all since 2000. If you go through all the totms you will find the same things: goood water movement, strong lighting, excellent nutrient controll, an attention to Ca and Alk demands with a basic understanding of tank chemistry... No silver bullet has come along. Equipment has improved for the masses with the increased hobby demands along with the rise of factory China.

Perhaps the best thing that time is changing is the capture and care by collectors getting us who are willing to pay for it healthier livestock.

Mr. Maroon,
OrionN has developed a solid treatment plan for haddoni and gigantea anemone's within the past few months and quite a few people have affirmed the success of his regimen. If one were to publish his findings in a paper book, it would take 6 months to a year with a traditional publisher before it ever hit the shelves. That info is available right now on RC.

Additionally, we have the resources here to vet products in real time. Yes, much of the information is anecdotal, but we have the quantity of users that allows us to compile some useful information. For example, I have learned that ATI and Geissmann are about the best T-5 bulbs to use and that the Jaebo pumps look promising for bridging the gap between economy and premium pumps.

I don't think that there are many short term game changers, but our knowledge base is constantly evolving and this forum provides not only real time information, but also historical references with the archives.

Sure, but the topic of this thread isn't "Advanced Care and Husbandry for Difficult to Keep Species" It is meant for beginners and old salts alike to follow a few easy time proven ways to achieve simple success. No doubt there are many small advances in settling cues and fry rearing, as well as for many other things but, none of those mean a thing to someone struggling to keep a healthy tank. If one were to follow many's company line, setting up a system is complicated and very expensive requiring everything from professional glass cutters and many hard to find PVC fittings to thousands of dollars of higher end hardware. KISS to me means patients, great flow, lighting, and filtration, a simple understanding of quarantine and treatment, and also of maintaining temp, Ca, and Alk. It should also mean to many to not go nuts on their first tank as chances are it won't be their last.

Don't really want to argue about it. I think if we polled everyone, most would agree that sites like RC are where we've learned the most, so this is where I point new people who want to learn about reefkeeping, not books. Not that there isn't good stuff in books, of course. LOTS of things have changed in the last 10 years. The basics? No, but definitely a lot:

-understanding of relative importance of high flow
-equipment that you don't need (UV, etc)
-LED lighting
-many forms of dosing (other than Alk and Ca)
-tank transfer method
-care of coral species new to hobby
-cure for red bugs (OK, this is almost 10 years old now)
-lots of different treatments/regimens for pest species/algaes, etc.

of course, there are more...

Actually I'm not sure exactly when the TTM was invented, I know some variant of it is fairly old ~1985, but definitely not well known until the last several years. TMZ? And I learned about it right here at RC.

Back