Know Any Angel Fish Rules?

Kdocimo90

Superior Member
I was just wondering what the rule is to Angel Fish in one tank. I have a "soon-to-be" reef tank. I have just finished cycling the tank, and did a water change, and I now have my three old fish in the new tank... A blue hippo tang, gold stripe maroon clownfish, and a damsel fish (not sure of what kind).

I would like to know, when, and how many angel fish I'd be able to keep in the tank. The tank will have LPS in it when the time is right. I'm also going to be adding only Juvi. Angel Fish, No adults... but, what will happen when they do become adults?

thanks,
Kevin

I have a flame angel, and so far so good. I hear they vary from fish to fish.

Then again, I only have one LPS in that tank right now. I plan on adding more this weekend, so we'll see.

I just had to return my Flame Angel to the lfs as all he did was peck at the corals Now that he is out the coral is doing great.

But I hear they are hit or mis If you do not have one I would skip it and find something else

Well, my tank is 210 gallons, and as i said before, I'm going to have LPS coral in it, no SPS whereas I am not using MH lighting.

I've heard stories of success and stories of failure, but I still havent really gotten a clear answer as to what the rule is, so if you could help, please do.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12236157#post12236157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
Well, my tank is 210 gallons, and as i said before, I'm going to have LPS coral in it, no SPS whereas I am not using MH lighting.

I've heard stories of success and stories of failure, but I still havent really gotten a clear answer as to what the rule is, so if you could help, please do.

As Rick said its "hit or miss".I don't think that there is a "Rule" to keeping certain fish,it all depends on your system.

IE: My friend has a 550g SPS reef,& cant keep a Regal Tang alive to save his a$$.Why? Who knows his other fish & coral are doing great.

The full angel fish rules?

I would like to know them as well.

Do all angel fish get along fine with other angel fish?
I also have a flame angel so exotic looking!

Just spoke a few moments ago with a co worker and he said he bought a babay puffer and as it grew one day there were no other fish in the tank. He ate them all clown and angels....

weird!

The only general thing that I guess you could consider as a "rule" would be that most angels aren't reef safe, so add at your own risk because you will be risking loosing money if your angel decides to munch on your polyps. And secondly, some angels may become aggressive towards similar angels (ie a lemon peel and a potter') or to fish added after them. Unfortunately there are some exceptions to these rules, just like most rules. And peoples experience will vary between fish. So I guess the only Angel Law is that each fish is different in some ways.

Kevin, it is easier for us to help you if you post one thread at a time. You've got two threads going on this.

Since your tank is new, I would normally recommend you wait before adding any dwarf angels - but in a 210g tank it might not make a difference, depending on how much rock you have. Dwarf angels like to have lots of well established live rock to graze on in addition to what they're fed.

In both your threads you referred to Juvis, in the other thread, I assumed you were referring to large angels in the Pomacanthus group since juvi Centropyges aren't always available. As I said in the other thread, juvenile Pomacanthus angels in the same tank is probably asking for trouble unless very different.

At any rate combining angels is not something simple with hard and fast, black and white type rules.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Scott Michael's book Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes before you buy any angels for a reef tank. You won't regret it :D

Last edited:
Back