Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor Install

Ed Kazz

Looking to re-install my Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor (after 10 years) and give this coral thing another try... The question I have is:

Can't I tap into the return pump manifold to supply the reactor and use a needle valve to control drip rate into sump?
Everything I have read so far say's to use a dosing pump? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Ed

You can use a return to move water through any device if the pump is big enough.
Make sure you always have a gate valve for tuning.
Mine pushes water through a UV, through a Reactor and a Frag tank.
I don’t use my CA reactor anymore, to much fiddling around for my taste, I just dose what I need through a doser, results same in my mind.

Last edited:
The 1502 is the USA version 110v of the 1501

Instructions:

Kalkreaktor C 1501/3001/4001

Operating instructions

Please read carefully before using!

Function: The success and efficiency of the C1501 is due to the large number of times that the internal water is re-circulated over the media. (pure coral-skeleton), This makes it possible to get a very high hardness (Calcium-Hydrocarbonate) in the return water (about 35° KH and more). This enables you to minimise the quantity of water that has to pass through the reactor, and minimises any danger of surplus C02. The regulation of the C02 quantity is easy, because you can see if a bubble is forming in the reactor if you overdose and can make adjustments to prevent the situation recurring. This ease of operation make in simple to run your C1501 at it’s maximum output and optimises use of CO2.

Operation: clamp the pump to the top of the reactor using the nylon screw, then fit the two detachable tubes. You should always leave a minimum of about 7 cm between the top of the media and the top of the reactor so that the inlet tube does not get clogged during operation, and so that you can see any bubble formation in the top of the reactor (this means you are supplying too much CO2 and it cannot all be dissolved). Before using the reactor on your tank, please wash thoroughly with freshwater.

Connect both the "Eingang" (inlet) and the "Ausgang" (outlet) to the tank, and the "C02" to your carbon dioxide system (set your regulator to about 1,2 - 1,5 bar, never use the silicone tubes for CO2!). Ensure that the tubes are fitted tightly to prevent any leaks! Fill the C 1501/C3001 with tank water (the system has to stand below the tank water line) and carefully allow the air to escape through the "Entlüftung". The best place for the outlet tube is about 2 cm above the waterline. This will enable you to see the rate at which the water is being dripped back to the tank.

Setting Up: start with 60 drops water from the "Auslauf" per minute, carbon dioxide bubbles should be about 10 per minute. Your KH in the return water should be at least 25° KH (wait about 1 hour before testing). If you get a bubble forming in the C 1501/C3001, please reduce the carbon dioxide quantity, if not, increase the CO2 feed a little bit. It is important to run the reactor close to the CO2 saturation point to get maximum results. If you are confident enough in your C02 dosing, you can change the two taps over and take the water out from the "Entlüftung". Now you will not get a bubble again, any excess C02 will escape with the water. Please only use this setup if you are sure that you have the optimum C02 dosage. C02 is heavier than will form a layer on your tank if it is being returned as a gas – this can have negative effects on your tank.

Replace the media every 3 to 4 months to prevent any obstruction of internal flow, and to ensure maximum results.

At first, please don’t increase the KH of your tank by more than 1 degree in one week. The optimum in your tank will be about 10° KH. After reaching this value, please adjust the quantity of the water running out of the reactor.

Fault diagnosis: if you don't reach a KH over 25° in the return water, please check that the pump isn't obstructed (internal circulation is handicapped), - that the C 1501 is correctly evacuated (no normal air in it), is your return rate too high?; - are you adding enough CO2 to lower the internal waters Ph?; - is the substrate obstructed?. Remember - Don't use silicon tubes for C02!!!

We wish you great results and a pleasurable experience with your C 1501/C3001/4001

The 1502 is the USA version 110v of the 1501

Instructions:

Kalkreaktor C 1501/3001/4001

Operating instructions

Please read carefully before using!

Function: The success and efficiency of the C1501 is due to the large number of times that the internal water is re-circulated over the media. (pure coral-skeleton), This makes it possible to get a very high hardness (Calcium-Hydrocarbonate) in the return water (about 35° KH and more). This enables you to minimise the quantity of water that has to pass through the reactor, and minimises any danger of surplus C02. The regulation of the C02 quantity is easy, because you can see if a bubble is forming in the reactor if you overdose and can make adjustments to prevent the situation recurring. This ease of operation make in simple to run your C1501 at it’s maximum output and optimises use of CO2.

Operation: clamp the pump to the top of the reactor using the nylon screw, then fit the two detachable tubes. You should always leave a minimum of about 7 cm between the top of the media and the top of the reactor so that the inlet tube does not get clogged during operation, and so that you can see any bubble formation in the top of the reactor (this means you are supplying too much CO2 and it cannot all be dissolved). Before using the reactor on your tank, please wash thoroughly with freshwater.

Connect both the "Eingang" (inlet) and the "Ausgang" (outlet) to the tank, and the "C02" to your carbon dioxide system (set your regulator to about 1,2 - 1,5 bar, never use the silicone tubes for CO2!). Ensure that the tubes are fitted tightly to prevent any leaks! Fill the C 1501/C3001 with tank water (the system has to stand below the tank water line) and carefully allow the air to escape through the "Entlüftung". The best place for the outlet tube is about 2 cm above the waterline. This will enable you to see the rate at which the water is being dripped back to the tank.

Setting Up: start with 60 drops water from the "Auslauf" per minute, carbon dioxide bubbles should be about 10 per minute. Your KH in the return water should be at least 25° KH (wait about 1 hour before testing). If you get a bubble forming in the C 1501/C3001, please reduce the carbon dioxide quantity, if not, increase the CO2 feed a little bit. It is important to run the reactor close to the CO2 saturation point to get maximum results. If you are confident enough in your C02 dosing, you can change the two taps over and take the water out from the "Entlüftung". Now you will not get a bubble again, any excess C02 will escape with the water. Please only use this setup if you are sure that you have the optimum C02 dosage. C02 is heavier than will form a layer on your tank if it is being returned as a gas – this can have negative effects on your tank.

Replace the media every 3 to 4 months to prevent any obstruction of internal flow, and to ensure maximum results.

At first, please don’t increase the KH of your tank by more than 1 degree in one week. The optimum in your tank will be about 10° KH. After reaching this value, please adjust the quantity of the water running out of the reactor.

Fault diagnosis: if you don't reach a KH over 25° in the return water, please check that the pump isn't obstructed (internal circulation is handicapped), - that the C 1501 is correctly evacuated (no normal air in it), is your return rate too high?; - are you adding enough CO2 to lower the internal waters Ph?; - is the substrate obstructed?. Remember - Don't use silicon tubes for C02!!!

We wish you great results and a pleasurable experience with your C 1501/C3001/4001
Thank You

I used a C1501and a C3001 for years, I tapped off my return and fed the reactor, I also used a mini lift pump with a filter inline which seemed to work better in the long run.

Back