Koran in 75

FishFatty

How wold a koran do in a 75 gal. reef tank? I know they are not considered completely reef-safe, but I think that if you raise it when it is a juvenille, it would eventually become reef safe...? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I used to have one in an older tank with some shrooms and zoas and he never touched them. He was mean as heck twards my other fish and proved he was the boss of the tank real fast. I also wouldn't recommend one for a 75 anyways.

If a Koran lives near a reef in the wild, will it grow up not to feed on the corals?

If it is not a reef safe fish, I wouldn't expect them to change by growing up next to corals.

well, maybe a koran isnt suited for my tank, but I am looking for something that is just as vibrant, and I cant find anything like that besides the flame or hippo...anything else that you would suggest? I would really like a colorful butterfuly or angel, but most arent reef safe...?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10456076#post10456076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishFatty
what if I did an extra small naso tang and planned to upgrade when it gets bigger...?

Upgrade first. :)

Have:
Flase perc
True Perc
Green spotted mandarin

Consideration: (Not all, just ones I like/stongly considering)
Flame Angel
Foxface
Hippo Tang
Copperrband Butterfly
SMALL Naso tang?

Yeah a Koran is best suited in a larger system. Not to say he cant be put in 75 for a short period if you pick one up as a juvenile. I have a Quenn in my 72 and she seems fine, has never destroyed any of my corals. May nip here and there but I dont have SPS or clams either, just softies like leather, shrooms, and xenia.

I'm also upgrading to a 210 next month (cant wait!). I already have all my equipment ordered so its only a matter of time...

My Quenn has been in my 72 for about 6-7-8 months (not sure) but she is starting to change and the 210 will be more than enough for her. My main concern is stunting her growth and causing stress on the fish, which is why I planned ahead to have a home set up by the time she is ready for it.

To answer your question, its not impossible, but just get the wheels turning on a larger system before making the purchase. For instance I already had my tank and skimmers purchased when I bought my Quenn. A short period should be okay for a Juve Koran

Outta of the fish you listed above, I think your best suited with the foxface or the flame angel unless like I said you plan on upgrading to a 180+ within a year.

Not sure about requirements on the butterfly... but the hippo and naso will require large systems within a year.

Also the flame and foxface would get along great with your current fish as well as add vibrant color. The flame has always been a favorite for me but I hear they are shipping poorly lately. Maybe purchase it at your LFS and let him sit a week or 2 before bringing him home. I am planning on adding a foxface to my 210 as well so I think they are also great peaceful reef fish.

Thanks for all the help....I just cant decide which of those fish I want to pick...They are all so neat and colorful

I would say introduce the hippo last. The copperband and foxface are both relatively peaceful but I would introduce the foxface first.

And a quaratine is almost a must for the hippo. Find out how long he has been in your dealers tank and if they run any type of disease killer like copper in their FO systems.

BTW you might wanna start a new thread on fish introduction since this is titled Koran, could help get more responses since we're jumping onto other fish species.

And if you're thinking of a copperband, please realize their also not considered reef safe. Great for aiptasia's but will prolly look at some other corals for food as well.

Just adding on.

I HAD a Koran in my 75 for about 2 years. It was just starting to change colors when I sold it. At the time all I had in the tank were mushrooms, yellow polyps and anemones, it never picked on any of them. It was a great fish, just was getting too big for my tank.

Here is a picture of it when I sold it (( in a "holding" tank - - had just moved ))

Koran.jpg

KoranYellow.jpg

Miss that fish, one day if I ever get a big enough tank.

Looks beautiful, I have wanted one soooo bad and thats what ima pair my queen with in my 210. We have one at my shop right now, I hope he's still available when I'm ready for him.

Back