Lace rock to live rock

tj_pickles

I was just wondering how long it might take for lace rock in an aquarium to be considered viable live rock. I'm not just talking critter and corraline algae coverage, but actual denitrification capability. Any guesses?:strooper:

I know that commercially cultured liverock takes 18 months to 3 years to become a marketable product, but I'm wondering if it might take longer to mature in a tank. I'm upgrading my 55 gallon to a 120 and I'm wondering if I can count my old lace rock (been growing in the 55 for almost 3 years) as part of the new tank's biological filter. It would be nice if I could so I don't drop $1k on more liverock.

Do you have good corraline growth on your established rock? I would say if its been in the tank for 3 years, its good to go. I have a 200 gal mixed tank, and i have removed a lot of rock, im somewhere around 150 lbf right now.

i cultured a little (about 1400 pounds total) when i was running my greenhouse. it took 6 - 9 months to get marketable product with at least 50% corraline coverage and often different species of macroalgae, and sometimes stray polyps from my frag tanks.

as far as bacterial populations to be considered for biological filtration... once the tank/ rock cycles, the bacteria are there.

Back