Lantheum chloride long term

padova335i

After about a year of looking into LC I finally made the jump.
My phosphates were kept just under .5 whatever I did only shorty affected levels to be lower. That was 9 cups GFO and weekly wc of 40
Gallons on a true 550 gallons of water.
I have 30 plus fish and I do have to feed a bit.
Fast forward I did quarter of the recommended dosage w phosphate rx. After a few weeks and dosing 15 drops a day I had no phosphates. I cut down to now only five drops a day and maintaining just about .25 phosphates and everything looks much happier. In this time I didn’t do any water changes. I now will change 40 gallons every other week and maybe 10 weekly just for replenishment of essential elements since I have no idea what is being consumed. I feed two full nori sheets and a cube of mysis daily along w some flake. So now I have plenty of food, fish are super happy and phosphates are kept in check.
For those of you w experience, do you now totally get rid of GFO? Anything I should be concerned with?
I did lose some sps and other from knocking phosphates to zero for two weeks. Now all looks to be growing again. I’ll keep it like this until “perfect” it. All other levels remained the same, my 3 yellow tangs are good and so are all of my fairy wrasses. I does right into skimmer or near it.
What else should I be aware of or any long term
Ill effects from using it w coral?
I’m down to now three drops a day…. Some coral of the same spicies is doing well while other are pale or receding. Can LC be absorbed by coral and have negative affects or will I be ok once phospahates are more around .2? I don’t want to give up just yet since this would be very easy Maintenance
Thank you!

LC will drop phosphates quickly. Once down to a low amount switching over to Fe based material may be ideal.

As for longterm use, as long as it’s added slowly to bind phosphate prior to getting into the display there should be no ill effects.

Last edited:
LC will drop phosphates quickly. Once down to a low amount switching over to Fe based material may be ideal.

As for longterm use, as long as it’s added slowly to bind phosphate prior to getting into the display there should be no ill effects.
Thank you.
I’m around 3 drops working up slowly on phosphates… hopefully I can find a sweet spot.
I wasn’t sure if LC could bind to a coral
Skeleton and prohibit growth. I will keep updates. Not adding new coral until system is thriving again.

It can be devastating to Zebrasoma…
You have to ensure there is ZERO free LaCl in the water column. Somewhere on my site and linked here I posted a first hand account years ago.

I’ve used it two separate times. After long term use both times I ended up with elevated Lanthanum in the water (via ICP) coupled with dieoff of corals and other invertebrates. First time I was dosing into roller filter and second time tried dosing into neck of skimmer.

Back