Large brown spot on friends Scopas Tang

CedzAquAddictio

I'm posting this for a good friend of mine. He purchased a Scopas tang from a LFS. Unfortunately, they didn't QT the tang. After 2 weeks, the tang developed a large brown spot as pictured below. They have since set up a QT, and moved all fish out of the DT and into the QT. Can anybody identify this disease, parasite, or fungal infection? I have some Cuppramine and Prazipro I can give them to treat their fish, but wanted some help with identification before they started treatment.

This is the best picture they could get.

uploadfromtaptalk1381374415546.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Looks like an abrasion. Has the fish been rubbing against the rocks? If so, could be a sign of parasitic infection. Fungal diseases are pretty uncommon with marine fish.

Wow. Quick response. From what I could see, their wasn't any other fish in the tank that could've made the fish make an evasive movement into the rocks. They also said that when they moved it to QT, it looks like there was a worm, or something in the spot. It's also been on the fish for about a week. Do abrasions last that long?

Thanks...

If the fish has external parasites, it will rub against the rocks/substrate/objects to dislodge them. I would start Prazipro treatment. It's gentle enough on fish that it has become a de facto treatment for all new fishes for me. If you've seen evidence of worms/flukes, all the better reason to start it.

Back