Large hermit crab!

EvilE

I was looking in my 55 gallon tank last night and I all of a sudden have a BIG hermit crab in there!! He is wearing one of my larger turbo snails shell, that he must have killed it for. I was shocked!! I have never seen him before! All I can think is that he was sold to me as a small zebra or blue legged hermit, and hid out somewhere, and grew and grew!! He is obviously not a small reef hermit. He does have blueish legs and a big white left handed claw. I will try to get a pic to ID him with you all if I can find him again. I was thinking I maybe should take him out of there, so he doesn't cause trouble with the snails, softies and other little crabs, what do you all think??

I don't have a sump. Yet. I know I know. I do have a QT tank though, maybe I'll put him in there

CRABS

CRABS

So EvilE, you have crabs huh? Take a picture of this one! Does it have a white stripe along is legs? Can you type it? Please try and get a pic. I've heard you can get rid of crabs with Sevin Dust. Oh wait were talking saltwater. (ignore that) Really though try and get us a pic. Be Cool, David

Hawaiiian "left handers" are greyish green and have white stripes and a very large left claw.
they get big enough to fit in Lg turbo shells and are very much reef safe.
The hermits that are much more of a maroonish brown with a lg two tone (white and brownish) left claw are not hawaiin but are still considered reef safe.
i have several Hawaiin's and a single "gorilla" crab. that's what i call him.
He reminds me of a gorilla.
Both herbivores
You will almost always end up with some varied hermits and for the majority----no worries mate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488013#post10488013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by senatormoe31
Hawaiiian "left handers" are greyish green and have white stripes and a very large left claw.
they get big enough to fit in Lg turbo shells and are very much reef safe.
The hermits that are much more of a maroonish brown with a lg two tone (white and brownish) left claw are not hawaiin but are still considered reef safe.
i have several Hawaiin's and a single "gorilla" crab. that's what i call him.
He reminds me of a gorilla.
Both herbivores
You will almost always end up with some varied hermits and for the majority----no worries mate.
Thanks for the info--should I put him back in the display then??

If you can find a photo in your books and it's one of those---by all means.
Which one do you think he is?
If it's the grey and white and blue and teal eyed one----absolutely!

I guess I'm saying that you should probably research to at least match it to a picture or post a pic of yours.
I.D. pretty much gurruntied on here with a posted photo.
Loads of us REEFGEEKS out there.

I can't seem to get a clear photo of him..... He has a large left claw, the top half is black or dark red, and the bottom tip is white. He has blue eyes, and dark brown/reddish legs white white stripes at the tips....I dunno, anyone know of a good hermit ID site?

I think you have "Calcinus tibicen" or orange clawed hermit
Try google scholar with this genus and species. If not that one look at "clibanarius" as a poss. GENUS
Best I can do right this second with my "TRUSTY" Calfo and Fenner "REEF INVERTABRATES" worth every bloody penny mate..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488918#post10488918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by senatormoe31
I think you have "Calcinus tibicen" or orange clawed hermit
Try google scholar with this genus and species. If not that one look at "clibanarius" as a poss. GENUS
Best I can do right this second with my "TRUSTY" Calfo and Fenner "REEF INVERTABRATES" worth every bloody penny mate..
I also think that's what it is

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10489436#post10489436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by senatormoe31
Who's your pal?,
Who's your buddy,?????
I AM, AREN'T I??
hehe

MOMMY,
Buy me some books??!!!!
Are you from Australia mate?

I had one I got the same way. I took it to AT where they had the same ones marked as Ocean hermits. They get large. Mine went around and ate snails and blue legged hermits constantly. Not to mention that he was like a bulldozer with my frags. IMO get it out of the tank. May be reef safe but my snails and other crabs didnt think he was tank safe:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10489990#post10489990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by senatormoe31
nope, 41 glorious years in Phx, AZ.
Oh you poor poor soul!!! You have 20 more years then I, living in this armpit they call a city!!:eek2: :eek1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10491695#post10491695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hermanx7
I had one I got the same way. I took it to AT where they had the same ones marked as Ocean hermits. They get large. Mine went around and ate snails and blue legged hermits constantly. Not to mention that he was like a bulldozer with my frags. IMO get it out of the tank. May be reef safe but my snails and other crabs didnt think he was tank safe:)
Like I said, he killed one of my big turbos to get his new home!! He's in the QT tank currently

Back