Large sailfin anyone?

Skerp

Hey I'm thinking about adding a sailfin tang to my list of fish for a 120g in the making. I understand they can get quite large in the wild and also in captivity. I'm just interested if anyone has a large or extra large sailfin that they purchased at a much smaller size a long time ago. I'm interested because i really want one and i know i would need to upgrade to a bigger tank once it gets to about 7-9 inches in my 120. Just trying to figure out how long this will take. If i do get a sailfin i plan on buying it at a very small size, about 2 inches or so.

Matt

It is difficult to estimate a time frame but tangs in general are eating machines and they grow fairly quickly especially that one.

Yea im hoping a few people will post that have one and i can get a rough estimate. Although then some people feed more often or larger quantities than others so i don't know if this will be very accurate. I guess ill just have to do it and see how it goes myself.

Mine is aprox 9-10 inches( to fast for the tape measure).. but it was 7-8 inches when i rescued it aprox 3 years ago..it has not grown a whole lot but it is so fat that its nick name is the FATA@@ FOOD HOG and will/does eat every thing feed to the tank

Personally i think his growth was stunted due to extreemly poor nutrition before i rescued him as he was nothing but skin and bones, covered in ich and had severe SEVERE sever head/latteral all the way to the bone in a couple places and is still scared in a few places

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14149464#post14149464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
Mine is aprox 9-10 inches( to fast for the tape measure).. but it was 7-8 inches when i rescued it aprox 3 years ago..it has not grown a whole lot but it is so fat that its nick name is the FATA@@ FOOD HOG and will/does eat every thing feed to the tank i feed atleast 3 times aday..ocean nutrician..formula 1,2 and prime reef flakes..form 1 and 2 pellets, various prepared frozen foods and chopped table shrimp..plus nori is put in the tank 3 times a day since my large angels/tangs and morish idol also eat it ..so iam a heavy feeder

Personally i think his growth was stunted due to extreemly poor nutrition before i rescued him as he was nothing but skin and bones, covered in ich and had severe SEVERE sever head/latteral all the way to the bone in a couple places and is still scared in a few places

opps computer OPERATOR error here...

i ment to edit the orginial post to say iam a heavy feeder..formula 1 & ,2 and prime reef flakes, formula 1 & 2 pellets. frozen mysis, chopped table shrimp, angel/buttefly formula (various combinations of these at least 3 times a day) and nori is avaliable 24/7

Last edited:
I bought this guy about six years ago about 2 1/2 inches . lost it last Oct. during a tank upgrade 135 to a 265 it was about 7" when it died. Very sad day!
tankpictures125.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So i guess i have a good chunk of time before i would need to upgrade given i dont overfeed and i can get a small enough specimen. Sorry for your loss triggerman :*(.

Thanks again
Matt

Back