Large water volume chemical filtration

nivram

Those with 200 gallon systems or larger, what type of reactor(s) do you use for carbon and gfo filtration? At what point do you upgrade from say a two little fishes 150 reactor to say the 550 I think it is. And what are your thoughts on the TLF reactors versus the bulk ref supply reactors?

Last edited:
265 gallon
Carbon- BRS brand and small BRS reactor. i use about 1.5 cups per 6-8 weeks. If I remember. Water is clear

GFO- I use TLF 550 but only fill about 2 cups. Way bigger than I need. I did an experiment and shut off the GFO reactor for a month, and the phosphates stayed the same. .02 to .03

I have very hungry chaeto with correct lighting on them.

I believe feeding habits and quality of live rock are helping.

When I feed pellets, i shut off the pumps and drop food into the lagoon. Not one piece gets trapped into live rock. Sorry Crabs. You will have to wait until my wife feeds lol

Would skip both of those. I have had both of these and in the quest to find the larger ones that are better constructed, dont have as many issues with, and can use with any number of different media options, I settled on the NextReef MR1 Monster reactors. The tops are acrylic and I used a tap and die and tapped them for a quick connect fitting and plumed them together. One line to run them both and disconnecting them is a matter of seconds. Can be placed in the sump or out. At the moment I have them outside my sump but I do have a spot for them and plan on putting them inline in the sump T'd off one of the overflow lines just like my fluidized sand filter line is.

http://www.marinedepot.com/NextReef...cal_Reactors-NextReef-NX1121-FIFRISCR-vi.html

Last edited:
210gal- I have two of the BRS reactors. I use one for carbon and one for GFO. I use the high capacity GFO in order to use BRS reactor. My PO4 s are 0.04 on Hannah checker at the moment and that GFO has been in there for 2 months. My water is clear and the reactors are easy to use.

Marvin as you know every system is different. Matt has many big fish that poop big hence he needs more pollution control via reactor. Biggar can run without one if he really wants. I use the tlf 150 and put both Gfo and carbon in it separated by one of there sponges and it's enough pollution control for my system. By the way the tlf150 is on sale at fosters for $29 hard to beat.

Marvin as you know every system is different. Matt has many big fish that poop big hence he needs more pollution control via reactor. Biggar can run without one if he really wants. I use the tlf 150 and put both Gfo and carbon in it separated by one of there sponges and it's enough pollution control for my system. By the way the tlf150 is on sale at fosters for $29 hard to beat.

+1

I forgot to add this. Both TLF and BRS are easy to dump and refill.

I remember rogger telling me the TLF could leak. I have yet to experience it.

If I were to pick a more solid construction, its BRS.

Easier to fill= BRS.

Which functions better? Not sure.

The TLF has made it easier to see the GFO tumbling. But I believe the newer BRS reactors are made with a more clear insert.

Hope this helps.

The TLF has made it easier to see the GFO tumbling. Hope this helps.

Gfo is easy to see ......here is a little trick ......mix in just a half a tea spoon of your sand in with the gfo the white sticks out like a sore thumb and is easy to see it traveling up the column of black.....

You are right Mark. I guess I am really trying to find out if after so many gallons of water volume, does one need to go with a bigger reactor to match the flow.

How is your TLF 150 plumbed into your system?

Also I had a conversation with Julian about carbon and gfo. Since then I mix the two in one reactor.

Yes the TLF150 will leak if you forget the oring or that surface is dirty. I think the 550 is a better design.

The reactors from AquaMaxx look much better for about the same price, Marine Depot runs them on special a lot since its their house brand.

I have a dual BRS setup I haven't used. But it does seem super easy to take on and off.

For sure, especially when it is mounted to something.

Here is a size comparison. I just plumbed into my return. No need for extra pumps and heat. More than enough pressure.

IMG_0774.jpg

If you go with the BRS, think about what pump you would guess it needs then double it. BRS recommends an MJ1200, and its way underpowered. The GFO stops tumbling after 12 hours. I tried removing/changing sponges, nothing helped. The TLF tumbles with an MJ1200 like a champ.

That being said, my brother put a mag3 on his BRS when he switched it to biopellets and with that pump she seems to tumble perfectly with no clogging, and he has it dialed back a bit.

Just my experience on the matter. Also, I have had zero leak issues with the TLF.

Back