largest fish you've ever had

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Let's blow away this "they grow only to fit the tank" myth. What's the longest, biggest, fattest, or roundest fish you ever owned, and in what size tank did it live? Pix would be very good.

My own largest/longest was 2 feet of slender ghost eel in a 100g reef: it was so spectacularly beautiful I always regret I never got a photo of it. It only came out by actinics or dark and ate 300.00 worth of fish. It had to find a new home fast. Yes, it was 'reef safe'. It never ate a coral.

Biggest damsel I ever had: 4" blue velvet damsel in a 100g. It was fat, thick, and mean as a junkyard dog, but a beautiful specimen: traded on to a larger home.

Last edited:
hmm..i had a 8" lunare wrasse in my old 360 gallon...started out about 3". grew that much in 3 years or so.

Chaetodermis penicillgerus in 90g tank, still growing:
FuzzyJan23.jpg

mandarinFuzzy.jpg

Shy, but friendly:
FuzzyCaveDec12.jpg

Likes upper levels - safe "islands", slept in this bucket, until was able to fit:
FuzzyDec6bucket.jpg

Closeup of the "file" on this filefish:
FuzzyJan23closeup.jpg

10 months ago - in 20g XH:
food_18Mar06.jpg

Largest I've had was freshwater, a 18" pleco and a 12" goldfish in a 44 cornor tank! I had to take them in to a LFS that also does outdoor ponds and the goldfish went to a 240 and the pleco to a year-round heated outdoor pond. I was concerned about the pleco being outside but he's still there 2 years later. I'm told it is a very high dollar setup and the temp only gets down to the high 60's when the temps are single digit. That or the LFS is lying to me. :rolleyes:

8" blue angel in a 55g (my first FO tank). From a 1" TEENY TINY baby in only 3 years.

Largest fish I ever had were freshwater, dinner plate sized monos and silver dollars. My foxface is about 5" and growing in my 75.

FW = 24" butterfly pleco in a 150G tall.

SW = 12" naso tang (not counting his 3" streamers off his tail) in a 400G and he's still in there growing. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9188996#post9188996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig Lambert
:eek: Can I ask how you went about removing it?
:lol: I'm guessing about 12 lb test and a steel leader.

16 inch, VERY fat annularis in a 1200 gallon along with 10 inch blonde naso, 7 inch powder blue, 8 inch hippo, and about a 7 inch black sturgeon (as of yesterday)

although not as big cant forget the others, like the sailfin, majestic, lawnmowers, and a school of chromis.

Jordie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9189338#post9189338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by custarring
16 inch, VERY fat annularis in a 1200 gallon along with 10 inch blonde naso, 7 inch powder blue, 8 inch hippo, and about a 7 inch black sturgeon (as of yesterday)

although not as big cant forget the others, like the sailfin, majestic, lawnmowers, and a school of chromis.

Jordie

How long have you had the hippo?

Back in my FW days I had 24" Arrowana and
a Pacu that was about the size of a Dinner plate...All in a 100G.

5 tin foil barbs in a 110 FW tank... They got to well over 18" and had to be donated to a public aquarium several hundred miles away.

Back