Last resort to kill bryopsis

PI Guy

First of all, hello, long time no post. So since my tank crash several months ago I've slowly been recovering. But I still can't get rid of my bryopsis. I've even power washed the rock but it keeps coming back. So now since I've got no coral anymore, I think I may try some chemical, if there is one, that will kill this pain in my ***. Any suggestions?

I had cyano and hair algae for weeks last year. After testing everything over and over and racking my brain trying to figure it out I replaced all my RODI filters. The problem went away after 2 weeks. The funny thing is that I had 0 TDS coming out. At least test your RODI water for nitrates and phosphates...

I've used the Kent Tech M with success as well...make sure your nitrates and phosphates are 0 and then bring the Mg up. I don't know about it being gone in a week but you should see some results. The first thing I noticed was the tips turning black, followed by the "strings" going clear. I still had to manually pull a lot out but I barely see any now. It's been a little over a month. My Mg was really high, 1800+.

I manually removed and took the rock out and spot treated with tech m. By far more effective for me then treating the whole tank. But i was fortunate that the bryopsis was on rocks that were easily removable.

Everything I've read about the Mag approach is hit or miss when using different brands, but there's something in the Kent Tech M additive that seems to have the highest success rate.

Kent Mag worked for me too for chemical control. I also had a sea hare in the past that loved the stuff, and currently have an abalone that likes it as well. You could also try hydrogen peroxide since many have had success cleaning up algae with it, and it's cheap.

Tech M worked great for me. 1700-1800 on the level and red legged hermit crabs ate at it like crazy when it starts dieing off. The cleaned almost all of it in one night.

I didn't want to risk contaminating the tank in some way with bleach accidentally. I didn't have room to put the corals and fish in anything else so they had to stay in the tank. This is a 156 I'm working with. So I replaced all the rock and sand.

I'm trying to get rid hair algae as well....running gfo and dosing magnesium but not the Kent tech M and cant seem to get rid of it. Does it have to be Kent tech m?

I'm trying to get rid hair algae as well....running gfo and dosing magnesium but not the Kent tech M and cant seem to get rid of it. Does it have to be Kent tech m?

Raising Mg doesn't work on anything but Bryopsis but it does have to be Tech M. I have a slight hair algae problem (new tank syndrome) right now as well, but it is dying off slowly. I bought a sea hare to see what would happen but he doesn't seem to be chowing down. Looks happy, moves around a lot, but doesn't mow it down like they are reputed to do.

I have heard there is some additive in it that kills it. So far it has worked great for me. I have just a little bit to go. Every water change I do more goes away in days.

Back