Lavender Tang

ronamyboxer

Hi all. My first thread! WooHoo!
My boyfriend and I were looking at a lavender tang last night at the store and I was wondering what you all thought about them. Are they aggressive? Are they reef safe? Hard to keep? It's a beautiful fish and would love to add it to our collection. Our fish stock as of now is Splendid dottyback, Harlequin tusk, blue hippo tang and a lawnmower blenny.

I have no experience with them but I did look them up and find a few things out:
Marinecenter.: (quote)
This species is brownish- lavender overall with orange spots on its head and "chest" and fine bluish gray lines on the sides of the body. Although not chromatically spectacular, the Lavender Tang is a hardy and functional aquarium inhabitant. It, like its striped cousin the Convict Surgeonfish (Acanthurus triostegus), is among the more peaceful tangs, and should not be housed with more aggressive species. For example, it should be the first surgeonfish introduced if you are keeping more then one per tank. In the wild, it is usually found over hard substrates, from which it grazes on red and green filamentous algae. Great for controlling algae in reef aquariums. Most specimens are in the 2"-3" range.

here's what i found if it helps

Due to its relatively small size, the Brown Surgeonfish or Lavender Tang is a good choice for the home aquarium. This fish along with its close relative the Convict Tang A. triostegus, is one of the more peaceful surgeonfish. Its moderate behavior makes it a good companion in a community tank. It should not be housed with aggressive species but rather more peaceful fish. It can be kept with a variety of tank mates including some of the other genus' of surgeonfish, though it will be aggressive towards others of its own kind.

Like all surgeonfish and tangs, the Brown Surgeonfish likes a lot of water movement rather than a placid aquarium. A quick and agile swimmer it will need plenty of swimming space, and like all surgeonfish needs corals/ rocks with crevices for retreat and sleeping at night. It will be quite hardy once it gets settled, this can be accomplished by initially offering a good macro algae. Being a voracious algae eater, good algae growth in the aquarium also helps provide for its nutritional needs as well as making it an excellent candidate for a reef environment.

Hi - congrats on your first post of many I'm sure! :)

I can't help you with the lavender tang - but your username... do you have a boxer?

kimsie--Yes I have a brindle boxer! kvcgsxr600 posted her pics the other day on another thread. She's so great! I'm trying to convince him we need a fawn male!! Do you have any yourself?

The dottyback, tusk, and hippo may fare on the semi-aggressive side so there may be some squabbles here and there. I noticed the Copperbanded wasn't on the list, did that die? If only the most beautiful fish in the sea were easier to keep... Morish idol, copperbanded etc. :(

[welcome]

We have a 2 1/2 y/o bed hog fawn male right now. He's a 95lb one and too skinny. When he fills in he'll be huge!
100_0818.jpg

Sure do! We have a 3 year old white male boxer ... Just love boxers... Love the brindle look! Oh I saw that pic of of the boxer looking at the tank! Loved it - great dog!

paulamrein--Yes the copperband did pass. I was upset because that was the first fish I bought for our tank!! Welcome to the saltwater hobby, right?? :p :thumbdown
Actually, the dottyback and the hippo tang are friends! Little blue follows that dottyback EVERYWHRE.

I have a 2 year old nervous Pee-er. Also a white boxer, when you get him excited and rub his belly, I've learned from experience that you should wear protective eye wear!!

That's funny that your male is sticking out his tongue while he sleeps, mine also does that! It must be the underbite!

Oh paulamrein - you'll have to post a picture of yours! I'd love to see it... protective eyeware LOL!

The Harliquin is normally an aggressive eater, I had had a large one in the past and he just held his own he never went after anyone. The dotty back however is just an ***.

I have had a Lavender before...Great personality and a good eater...mine followed me down the tank waiting for food. In my opinion for what they are they are a great fish. Mine had a pretty orange strip around his top fin and on his tail

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12197023#post12197023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
We have a 2 1/2 y/o bed hog fawn male right now. He's a 95lb one and too skinny. When he fills in he'll be huge!
100_0818.jpg
[/B]

Good thing he don't rub your belly like your cat :D

Back