Leather Corals in a mixed reef with SPS?

Montreal Ray

Hi all,

I have been doing some reading about keeping leathers with stony's. Some folks say no, while others have done it with success.

My concern is, I've had 2 leathers (1 large and 1 no so large) for about 3 months now. I just ordered about 20 new frags..some Acros, Birds nest, candy cane, maze brain..ect. I want new stuff to do well and not be affected by the leathers.

What is your opinion on this?

thanks,
Ray

greggnyce

Some leathers are known to release toxins so that is the fear some people have. If you run carbon you should be fine, I have seen plenty of tanks with leathers and sps.

Montreal Ray

Some leathers are known to release toxins so that is the fear some people have. If you run carbon you should be fine, I have seen plenty of tanks with leathers and sps.

Thanks man.

If I post pics later , can you tell me if they are the ones known to release toxins?

greggnyce

I am not sure which ones release them. I think alot of them have the potential to do so, but it is a defense mechanism used to keep competing corals from their space. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

LifeAquatic

I have had leathers and SPS in the same take for over a year with no concerns. Obviously, dont let them touch each other.

Staceon

Premium Member
I have tried to mix the Leathers and SPS and never had any success long term and I believe you really need seperate systems. Both that also comes down to maintenance and system. I really think the only way you can do it is large, regular water changes and some type of calcium dose/reactor.

Last edited:

strendo

Premium Member
I have both in a mixed reef and none in a full sps system. Running carbon is good, but the leathers like some nitrates, which Sps don't, so they wont do as well if you get your nutrients down really low..

Montreal Ray

I have had leathers and SPS in the same take for over a year with no concerns. Obviously, dont let them touch each other.

Very cool, thx.

I have tried to mix the Leathers and SPS and never had any success long term and I believe you really need seperate systems. Both that also comes down to maintenance and system. I really think the only way you can do it is large, regular water changes and some type of calcium dose/reactor.

Yeah, the long term worries me. I might get rid of them all together...the large one for sure.

I have both in a mixed reef and none in a full sps system. Running carbon is good, but the leathers like some nitrates, which Sps don't, so they wont do as well if you get your nutrients down really low..

Interesting. The leathers have not been doing so hot the past month, Nitrates are undetecable.

Montreal Ray

This is the one im thinking about getting rid of

111.jpg

The small one if have can be seen in the video below on frame 0.31seconds. Kinda hard to tell exactly what it is, I will try to get a good pic tonight.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcPjeLUTwXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcPjeLUTwXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Surf&turf

Also, when the leathers shed, need to try to have PH and flow directed so it doesn't land on anything else, SPS or LPS. I think long term they still fight.
I just removed a leather from my LPS, SPS mixed reef and everything looks
alot better.::blown:

Montreal Ray

Also, when the leathers shed, need to try to have PH and flow directed so it doesn't land on anything else, SPS or LPS. I think long term they still fight.
I just removed a leather from my LPS, SPS mixed reef and everything looks
alot better.::blown:

They have been doing a LOT of sheding latley.

Zebodog

This is the one im thinking about getting rid of

111.jpg

The small one if have can be seen in the video below on frame 0.31seconds. Kinda hard to tell exactly what it is, I will try to get a good pic tonight.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcPjeLUTwXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Looks like Sinularia - widely considered to be one of the most toxic.

I had one for about 6 months, but ended up trading it off. It was growing too fast and required pruning every couple of weeks; it got to be a real pain. While I did have it, I had a couple of smaller SPS frags but I made sure they were "upstream" so that any toxins or excess mucus coating from the leather were pulled up by the skimmer or had time to dissipate.

Montreal Ray

Looks like Sinularia - widely considered to be one of the most toxic.

I had one for about 6 months, but ended up trading it off. It was growing too fast and required pruning every couple of weeks; it got to be a real pain. While I did have it, I had a couple of smaller SPS frags but I made sure they were "upstream" so that any toxins or excess mucus coating from the leather were pulled up by the skimmer or had time to dissipate.

Hi, the Sinularia you are referring to, is it the large one or the small one at 0.31?

thanks