leather with acropora good or bad?

wakeupdrowzy

how to acropora response to leather in the tank, i've heard that they are opposite to each other, i have both of them in my tank, will there be any problem ?

i have green sinurlia, tenticle leather, and fuzy mushroom. Will these coral create problem for my acropora? how bout rainbow monti

wakeupdrowzy,

what I have hear from experience farmers is that mixing different species such as in this case leather with sps, they have notice that the coral (sps) don't growth as fast, ( the thinking is that the coral wastes too much energy fighting instead of using that energy for growth

but this is for achieving maximum growth, when you have a home reef thats a different story, things looks better mix, only recommendation is to use some carbon to keep the water nice and clean, other don't even use that and report no problems

so in short, yes is ok to keep leathers with acropora in a home tank,

sam

If one of the leathers dies you will loose sps. This happend to me when I was on vacation. Make sure you run carbon 24/7

i have a mixed tank and so far so good i attribute some of the issues with sps to otehr reasons not the softies....

but other then that i have some other nice sps pieces that are showing good growth

I have a ton of sps in my 120 and a leather that has a 12" diameter stock with an 18" diameter crown. The only issue I have is the leather has to be cut or it shades some of the sps. Otherwise there is no problem for me. Growth is great on the sps. I also run calcium and kalk reactors.

I've had leathers in with my SPS for over 2 yrs now and the growth is more then I can keep up with (actually upgrading my tank now). Don't believe anyone that says you cannot do it. I do run carbon passively every couple of months...

I have always agreed that they aren't good for sps but a recent indepth view at our reefs tells a different story.

I';ve grown sps with leathers for years..it works great!

BUT I have without a doubt noticed extreme improvements when I moved all softies out of my 180 acro tank!

But all in all its mixing them LPS with SPS that dangerous...never said it couldn't be done...just dangerous...couldn't pay me to own a LPS coral...softies and SPS all the way!

Doc

leather with acropora good or bad?

.....I would say more like indifferent:p

IMO as long as you maintain space and keep the water clean( ie. carbon and good skimming) you should be fine.

Chris

But all in all its mixing them LPS with SPS that dangerous...never said it couldn't be done...just dangerous...couldn't pay me to own a LPS coral...softies and SPS all the way!

First that I have heard of this. I have heard that mixing the large and small polyp stonies are fine. Just don't let them touch.

Care to elaborate a little more?

LPS pack a very very potant sting....plus very long sweeper tenacles at night....on top iof that they realease lots of waste, and toxins in the water....

They are pretty corals...I do appriciate them....have mixed them in the mix before....but I personally know the danger of a reef pack full of corals with just a couple LPS....

Softies mix way better with sps than LPS and SPS in my experience...

Doc

you are the exception to everything that I have read.

I am not saying that you are wrong or even arguing with you. I just try to get everyones side of things.

I definantly agree that you have to watch LPS around SPS, I have some with tenacles over 4" long and can strip an SPS branch in a night.

I personaly see nothing wrong with mixing LPS & SPS as longs as you realize that the LPS will eat the SPS if they are close enough. But this is no different then mixing different SPS.

Rich

I definantly agree that you have to watch LPS around SPS, I have some with tenacles over 4" long and can strip an SPS branch in a night.

RIGHT ON RICH!!!!!

Nice to meet ya reefer I'm Jeremy...how goes it!

Doc

I have tons of lps of all kinds in with my sps .

DOC you have seen my tank.

LPS don't degrade water quality at most they send do send out sweepers but I have yet to have a problem and I have around 150 sps and around 50 lps in my sps tank.

Are you all referring to actual physical contact or allelopathy? Seems like some are referring to one and some to the other.

As far as physical contact of course LPS will do damage if the sweepers are allowing to sting adjacent corals.

As far as allelopathy I have noticed the most pronounced effects in my tanks on Sarcophyton from euphyllia.

Mixed tanks are very possible and most nice tanks I have seen are in fact mixed(LPS, SPS and softies). In a perfect world giving each type of coral a tank of it's own specifically taylored to that corals place on the reef would be ideal but not many of us have the space and/or time to do that.....I know I don't:)

Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7636587#post7636587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
As far as allelopathy I have noticed the most pronounced effects in my tanks on Sarcophyton from euphyllia.

Hi Chris,
Can you elaborate on this? I have a Sarcophyton 3 inches below a Euphyllia divisa. I haven't seen any damage, but if they're spewing more allelopathic chemicals than usual I'll have to put an end to that relationship.

-- Gil

Back