Leaving tank?

GT350pwns

Is there anything I need to do for my fishy friends? Unfortunately, I don't have an auto feeder. But, I'm thinking it's going to have to be an investment soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fish will be fine without food for 3days...
Do you have ATO (auto top off) to makeup for evap? OR large enough return section to go 3days?

You are fine with most fish (I would worry if you have Anthias or other fish that require frequent feedings) for three days, but the auto-feeder is a much better solution. I have my tanks set-up to allow me two weeks away without any maintenance. Long term you don't want to be tied to your tank and I would recommend sizing any top-off reservoir or dosing containers to allow you to take an extended vacation. A good controller like the Apex Neptune will also allow you to monitor your tank while you are away.

On top of what the others mentioned, I'd advise doing a slightly larger-than-normal water change right before you leave. Just in case anything does happen, it gives you more wiggle room.

Thanks, guys!

I had an anthias, but died within 5 minutes of acclimation into the QT :( Still waiting on the 2 weeks for LA for that one..

Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of automation to my tank yet. But, I generally top off every 3-4 days as my tank is covered and there isn't a ton of evap.

Future checklist is:

-some form of ATO
-3 part dosing pump
-autofeeder

A controller is too rich for my blood at the moment unless I came by a killer deal on a used one.

it's weird.. sometimes i can edit posts, sometimes i can't.

Anyhow, I would still recommend having a trusted friend swing by. controller will be much easier in the future, but I just saw someone's APEX fail and wiped out their tank.

you should always have someone to check your tank if you are gone for more than 2-3 days.

RA sounds like a trust worthy guy.. you could hand him the keys

Last edited by a moderator:
RA sounds like a trust worthy guy.. you could hand him the keys

Yeah you have some equipment that I could keep a close watch on. :uhoh2:

Why don't you ask a mod to delete your post.

Heah and have a good weekend and don't worry about a thing.

I know you don't have one yet, but I had an auto feeder and it worked out great when I traveled. I would definitely recommend one. I have an Eheim

Back