LED Color Aesthetics: The Emperor's got no clothes. Or does he?

I'll add in a couple of reds. And I'm going to have to figure out a way to add a bunch of violets because if you get enough of it, it looks great. And the greens... they're going in the trash bin.

Do you have an update? How many violets and reds were you going to add?

I'm holding off on my build till I see some of your results.

Do you have an update? How many violets and reds were you going to add?

I'm holding off on my build till I see some of your results.
Please don't wait on me. I'm taking my time on adding the reds. The benefit is marginal, and I risk busting the DIY fixture that lights my reef. All I need to do is hose a string on that, and I've got a problem. I'll get around to it. But I'm in no rush.

As for the violets, that's another matter. I've concluded that I can't put enough violets to be visible into my fixture without losing a lot of visible light. So I'm either going to have to completely remake my fixture, or create an add-on of some kind to my light. Bottom line, its not going to happen soon.

Sorry.

To comment on the violets I am a big fan of those right now, but further testing, an pics if I ever get around to it is needed (and if I can get my camera to pic up the difference I see). On the few arrays I'v built for my tanks they seem well worth it but you sort of need to treat them as add ons as Scolley suggests. the "pop" they produce is quite noticable when used 1:1 with whites runing at the same output, but gets drowned out when the blues are added into the mix. so right now I'm thinking that one needs to add them in equal parts to thier blues to get noticable additional "pop" with everything on. they do however produce amazing effects as moon lights! with only a few of them on.

The reds I imagine would help but I think high CRI white LEDs would be better. If only someone was selling them in the hobby. I cant find a source for anything over an 80 CRI. Most are 75 for cool white. (flourescent and many metal halide are over 90 CRI) filling in with reds, greens, turquios seems to be how people are compromising but I'd rather find good whites.

I have been toying with the idea of using RGB LEDs though to get some of both with out all the disco effect that goes with individual colored LEDs. Anyone tried this with high power LEDs on thier builds?

First of all, Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, great job!

I've been reading the whole thread in the past days, it's been really helpfull helping decide the combo I would like. But, I still have few questions. So if you could spare some time, I would like to have your view on this.

Quick note, as this is about aesthetics, I'll like to say that myself, I prefer a more blue/violet (but not too violent :uzi: ) scheme than more yellowish.

My combo will consist of the following color, but haven't decide yet on some ratio:
10 RB(455nm) and B (470nm)
8 NW and CW (12000K)
4 Violet (420nm)
2 deep red (660nm)

What's your thought on the blue and the white ratio, would the 12000K be even necessary or only NW is ok?.
Also, what's the "perfect temp" for NW ?

The last that was'nt discuss much was about lenses, I understood from my reading, that it was better to leave the red without one, what about the violet one?
My tank is 24'' deep, and I like to have the fixture a little higher so I was going for 60* on blue and white.

Thanks in advance, and let's keep the light

going for between 10-14k

going for between 10-14k

So I had planned on building my new fixture for my 300 gallon wide tank over a year ago, but it has yet to happen. I am now beginning to research everything again and was interested in knowing what everyone's opinion would be on the following combination.

32 NW xm-l at .7-1 amp (60 degree optics)
96 RB xt-e at 350-600 mA (60 degree optics)
16 Blue xp-g at 350-600 mA
16 True Violet at 350-600 mA
8 Turquoise at 350-600 mA
8 Deep Red at 350-600 mA

Total of 176 LEDs

Would this be a good combination to get me in the 10-14k, as well as be able to sufficiently light my tank (it has sps) or should I change/add some?

Hi guys,

So I posted this in the DIY LED thread but I figured the color thread would be a better spot for it. What do you all think about this color combination/ratios? I will be putting it over a 90gallon with a 44"x11.5" opening. The LED's will be roughly 8" off the water and I am planning on going 80% SPS/ 20% LPS. Do I even need optics when the LEDS are only going to be 8" off of the water? I was planning on purchasing 80* optics. I am also considering buying the extra 12 LED UV package from RapidLED as a supplement as Ive seen how much of a response the UV bulbs have been getting recently for coral pop. I figure I could sneak in a small strip somewhere in my hood :) Without further adieu..

Here is the ratio that was suggested in another post...

32 Royal Blue
6 Cool White
6 Neutral White
4 warm white

And here is my hypothetical lineup in the strings (4 rows of 12)..

RB RB RB CW RB WW RB CW RB RB RB RB
NW RB CW RB NW RB NW RB CW RB RB NW
RB WW RB NW RB WW RB NW RB WW RB RB
RB RB RB RB CW RB CW RB RB RB RB RB

What do you guys think? I was debating for a long time adding in some green or reds, but I figured the WW should take care of that. Also without the other colors, I wouldnt be as complicated. Please feel free to slaughter this if you'd like. I'm definitely open to any suggestions or input you guys may have. Thank you so much!

~Low

OK, I'll update.

Started with 2:1 NW and RB with 4 UV. Looked good, but blue and reds were a little off.

Added 2 more NW didn't help and the wife hated it. Closer to a 12K setup. Blue and Red no change either.

Waiting for new LED's to try something new.
4 NW
8 RB
4 UV
Add 1 Cyan 490-520nm and 1 Red 660nm

Will see what happens.

UV light is descructive to coral tissue. Many studies have confirmed this.
Red wavelengths disappear by 10m depth, and most corals used in the hobby come from much deeper, up to 25m. It's also been shown in at least three studies I can think of that red actually causes a reduction in coral growth, and promotes bleaching.

You dont have to remove any leds to add a few to your mix.
Just piggyback them off another led.
If your string is 1000ma add one to the led and it will split them to
500ma ......works great.

That's only true if you run them in parallel, which I wouldn't advise. If you put them in series you'll end up with a lower voltage drop across each LED, but the driver will keep the current the same.

Hy guys ! Nice job with this thread .

I need some help planing to make a DIY led lighting for my reef tank .
I have thought about using 44 leds : 16 XPE RB, 8 XPG CW, 4 violet, 4 deep led, 4 cyan and 4 XPE blue on two rapidled 6"x9" heatsinks , powerd by 4 Meen Well dimmable drivers .
I am thinking to use 12 RB on first driver , 8 CW on second driver , 4 RB 4 V 4B on third driver and 4 R 4 cyan and 4 B on fourth driver , all controlled with a Typhon LED Controller .

What do you think about my configuration ?

You're good with any combination of wavelengths between 400nm and 500nm. Photosynthetic response drops off significantly above 500nm.

The TV led itself seems fine. The optic will sort of "burn" - it darkens. You can use needle nose pliers to pop off the optic if it happens. I was running mine at 700 ma on a fan cooled heat sink and after a couple months, the optics started to brown. I'm just using them without optics now. I can't tell much different between optic and no optic.

Burned optics? I suspect you're driving the LED at the ragged edge of it's current capacity (despite the claims of the manufacturer). Why not use a driver that limits current to 500ma or less? You'll extend the life of the LED dramatically. Most LEDs don't last long if they're running above 100 degrees F.

Where did you order yours from?

RapidLED's are rated @ 700mA - http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-247/Violet-UV-3W-LED/Detail

Yeldarbj, hows this:
KSMLEDSetup.jpg

i've opted for 1:1 ratio on the B vs V for an easier setup. Keeps the LED placement evenly distributed.

I may run the 2 on seperate drivers ELN-60-48P/D's will depend. I like the idea of a dusk\dawn appearance.

I'd advise avoiding any wavelength below 400nm to avoid damaging tissue. I'd also ditch the reds. Dana Riddle and others have proven that red is not a desirable wavelength for all except the shallowest-growing corals (<4 meters). You may also end up supplying a wavelength upon which undesirable algae would thrive.

I realize the thread is focused on aesthetics, but I'll take a much greater growth rate and pigmentation over slowed growth any day.

Here are a few quotes from Dana Riddle (coral researcher and major contributor to AdvancedAquarist magazine) from last year:

"I can say with a high degree of certainty that red wavelengths are detrimental to zooxanthellae pigment content and health."

"Dr. Kinzie published his experiments with red light and zooxanthellae in the late 20th century. He realized red light was a regulating mechanism for either the number of zooxanthellae and/or the content of their photopigments (chlorophll a, c2, peridinin, etc.). In laymen's terms, this regulation is referred to 'bleaching'."

And, "other peer-reviewed works have confirmed coral growth is greatest when corals are maintained in conditions of deficient (natural) amounts of red light."

i've got a question or two...

i'm in the process of building a 180sps. for lighting this is what i have planned.
this is my first led project so i have no experience.

72 xt-e rb

36 xm-l nw

9 xp-e cb

9 3w uv

i want to spread them equally on 3 heatsinks. what size heatsinks would be best.

for drivers i was thinking

1 http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-hlg-185-42b-dimmable-driver/

and 5 http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-eln-60-48d-dimmable-driver/

would that be a good way to do that or should i just run them all off 48d's.
for dimming they'll be hooked to an apex.

I would run the RBs off of one HLG and then the XM-Ls off another HLG. See if oyu like the color, then if not happy with the color add the blue or UV or both each with one string off of the ELN.

I would also use channel rather than one big heatsink.

Small doses of UV shouldn't pose a real problem. The UV mentioned in most LED threads is not even proper UV anyway.
All of the best looking reefs I've seen are in pretty shallow water where the sunlight still looks like sunlight. Plenty of UV and red spectrum there.
I chat with the collectors I know, and your right in saying that most corals come from deeper waters, but that doesn't mean they'd all perish in shallower waters. Most just adapt over time.
As far as the reds go I wouldn't bother. I've read the studies although I've had no problems growing corals under the RBG supplemental lighting I've been using for over a year.

I've ordered some leds and drivers to retrofit my maxspect fittings and will post my results once I get them wired up. Thanks to all those who have posted their findings so far.

Burned optics? I suspect you're driving the LED at the ragged edge of it's current capacity (despite the claims of the manufacturer). Why not use a driver that limits current to 500ma or less? You'll extend the life of the LED dramatically. Most LEDs don't last long if they're running above 100 degrees F.

I think the burned optics in this case are more a sign of the optic not dealing well with the wavelength. I've noticed similar things happening on various fixtures I have on the go.

Which Dana Riddle articles are you refering to in your earlier posts about UV and red leds?
I just had a look at the most recent one and doesn't really give any indication of detriment caused by a broad spectrum light source.

Back