LED lighting for 55G soft corals & some LPS

zues2006

Hi everyone.
I am looking at trying out some LED lighting fixtures for my 55G tank.
I want my soft corals to do well with the lighting.
It would be cool if I could grow a couple LPS near the top of the tank, but it isn't mandatory.
I have a small skimmer on the tank, and I have many years of passion for this hobby.
It looks like based on some preliminary research, ideally I want 2x - 4x watts per gallon of water for ideal lighting for optimum growth opportunity in the correct water conditions.
What are you using that does not break the bank for LED lighting ?
I have done some research, but I haven't yet found reviews or info on LED lighting products that are successful with my target goals.
Does anyone have any feedback ?
Much appreciated in advance.

Watts per gallon has never, ever been a good way to size lights. Forget this.

Some Chinese Black Box lights will probably meet your needs just fine. There are many, many different kinds and types, but I would recommend some with more than just blue and white diodes. You can pay very little, or more, depending on the features that you want.

Watts per gallon has never, ever been a good way to size lights. Forget this.

Some Chinese Black Box lights will probably meet your needs just fine. There are many, many different kinds and types, but I would recommend some with more than just blue and white diodes. You can pay very little, or more, depending on the features that you want.

I have been looking at all the options. I see some units have multiple colors.
Thanks for the tip on watts per gallon. I see some websites have some $200sih units that are up to 48" long with whites, reds, blues, etc. But I don't know if that price level will be more of a gimmick that produces nice coloring that won't support growth for LPS and some bubble tipped anonomes.
I don't want to spend $200 on a fixture and use a PAR meter and find out I wasted my money.

Ron will likely be along shortly to talk about ReefBreeders Photon. That is a good choice for a mixed tank, but not the cheapest. Just some black boxes like from Mars will grow most LPS and nems just fine. I would not go with the cheapest route here like the ones that you see with .5 watt diodes or the like... nobody can afford to be cheap in this hobby... but once you find some with quality diodes that are run well, then all that you are paying for is features that you may not ever use.

If you are hesitant about plug-and-play ability (perhaps I am sensing something that is not here), then get a 4 bulb T5 and forget about it.

This is what I just purchased for my 55g. Zetlight Qmaven 6800. Just had a week so I don't have much feedback yet.
b9fdde79aa2ff0ba7541c236403e5b7e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to what jda has said.

IMHO, if cost is a big issue, even the very basic Mars Aqua will grow soft coral, zoas and LPS. Probably even sps if they aren't at the very bottom of the tank. Mars Aqua does produce less light than the other black box fixtures because the drive the leds less. They run 3w led at 1.8 watts each and everybody else runs 3w leds at 2.2 watts each. But with soft and even lps corals, you should be good.

You can look at Viparspectra, Euphotica, Galaxy Hydo, and SB Reef. They all make good black box fixtures with different sizes and different levels of features.

jda is right about Reef Breeders. They are not cheap by any means, but they are the least expensive of what I consider to be quality fixtures with all the features of the other high end fixtures, Cree and OSRAM leds (about 50:50 split of 3w and 5w leds), sunrise/sunset programming, 6 channel color control, slim modern looking aluminum case, a 2 year warranty and a sponsor forum here at RC so the owner is easy to reach. And you pay for all those features, just considerably less than AI, Kessil, Eco Tech and other high dollar brands.

Check your budget, decide what features you really want and pick a fixture. Like jda said, just avoid the Current Orbit and Marineland fixtures that use 0.4 watt leds, they would be a VERY marginal choice for a tank as deep as yours.

Last edited:
For that size tank and LPS you can get two Mars Aqualight LEDs for less than $200 and it would work.

just bought an "SYGAVLED" fixture off of amazon... and it seems pretty decent, especially for $90 a pop

just bought an "SYGAVLED" fixture off of amazon... and it seems pretty decent, especially for $90 a pop

It's cheap enough, but what do you do when something goes wrong after 3 months? I saw no warranty info in their ad. I'm all in favor of buying less expensive, but at least buy brand names that other reefers are using. I've never read about anybody using a Sygav led fixture. And you saved all of what, $10 off a MarsAqua that tons of people here use and would give good reviews.

Don't get me wrong, this may be a great led fixture. But without more warranty info, and some reviews by other users, this could be a risky buy.

On the other hand, if $100 is no big deal to you, then it's a risk you can take. Heck, I bought a ReeFi-Led fixture for $300 and they are an in home start up company. I've only had the fixture for 3 months and it's working great. But the builder is in the US, not China, he has a website rather than just an Amazon seller, and I have his email, phone number and home address. Plus I talked to him on the phone.

Last edited:
I bought 2 165w Mars Aqua Leds (Chinese black boxes)I paid about 170$ for both. I'm genuinely impressed with them. Here are some pics for reference. These were taken w my phones camera.
20170730_231451-1008x756.jpg

Here are the blues only
20170730_231611-1008x756.jpg

Currently at 50% blue about 15% white. They can b pretty intense if not disled in right.

I got a 130wt sammoon "blues and whites" unit, as part of a package for a 50 gallon set up and I am quite frankly appalled at how previously vibrant corals have faded to beiges and browns, and previously bright green zoas just look like a brown mat.
My GBTA is now close to white.
I have a huge chiller, and I'm seriously thinking of buying metal halides again.
Lighting is the most important part of the hobby; don't skimp for he sake of a few hundred, as you'll lose that in livestock if you get it wrong.

I plan on eventually upgrading to kessils but or ocean revive so it's just temporary

Back