LED lighting

Actually I just realized I mistated something in my OP, I didn't use Rapid I used another company that I am not sure I can mention because they are not a sponser. Anyway, I went the the JBJ Solderless connectors with Carclo optics for all Led's. I have read really great things about the optics, and also that the solderless connecters make it a lot easier of a DIY.

Just finished up a 24 XR-E LED build on a 12" heatsink from the same company for my frag tank. 16 Blue / 8 White. Went the exact same route, BJB connectors and Carclo frosted optics. Drilling the holes wasn't that bad. Get some oil and dip the bit and make sure it is clean (no chips or debris in the bit) before each hole. Went through four 3/32" bits drilling the first 20 holes without oil. The rest were done with one bit using oil. I set it up to be upgradeable to 36 LEDs in the future if need be.

I'd be cautious of trying to get the screws in a smaller hole than what they recommend. The head on the screws are kind of soft. You'll likely wind up stripping them unless super careful.

Today will be the first day they get used over the tank. :smokin:

I'm new to this whole good lighting realm. I'm getting absolutely no algae growth. This is a goof sign right? I get some film algae on the glass but that's it. Even that is minimal. I'm growing way more coraline than green algae

Just finished up a 24 XR-E LED build on a 12" heatsink from the same company for my frag tank. 16 Blue / 8 White. Went the exact same route, BJB connectors and Carclo frosted optics. Drilling the holes wasn't that bad. Get some oil and dip the bit and make sure it is clean (no chips or debris in the bit) before each hole. Went through four 3/32" bits drilling the first 20 holes without oil. The rest were done with one bit using oil. I set it up to be upgradeable to 36 LEDs in the future if need be.

I'd be cautious of trying to get the screws in a smaller hole than what they recommend. The head on the screws are kind of soft. You'll likely wind up stripping them unless super careful.

Today will be the first day they get used over the tank. :smokin:

I was told the same info from other reefer's, oil, oil, oil. Thank you good info. Also did you tap the wholes or just predrill and screw in??? Also is their any other advice you would give to someone who has no prior electrical knowledge when building with that kit? Thanks in advance :)

Learn to solder on something other than the LEDs. I tried learning on mine and fried about a dozen of them

Drilled holes and used the supplied self tapping screws. Everything is simple. Watch their videos on YouTube they have everything you need to know covered. Pay attention when setting them. Once the bjb connector is screwed on, you can not see the polarity symbols on the led. The bjb connectors are marked. I did not turn them so plus lined up with minus. I wanted to keep everything the same with how they lined up and ran the wire accordingly to keep things simple. Worked first time they were powered on and the wiring doesn't look terrible.

I went to home depot and picked up the wire. It is solid copper doorbell wire, 20 gauge. The stuff off the shelf is stranded, this stuff was on the rack they have to get for you.

The carclo optics are a pretty tight beam in my opinion. I was kind of surprised how high I needed my light. That is the price we are going to pay until other optics that work with the bjb connectors are developed.

I'm currently running a single driver for all 24, so I don't have the ability to turn down the whites or blues individually. That will come when I add the next 12 LEDs and another driver. Went in steps to keep the cost down. The color at 2:1 looks pretty good to me though. 17-20k in my opinion. Pleased with the way kit turned out, and the company I bought them from. Very nice kit for the money. Can't wait to see how the tank responds.

Drilled holes and used the supplied self tapping screws. Everything is simple. Watch their videos on YouTube they have everything you need to know covered. Pay attention when setting them. Once the bjb connector is screwed on, you can not see the polarity symbols on the led. The bjb connectors are marked. I did not turn them so plus lined up with minus. I wanted to keep everything the same with how they lined up and ran the wire accordingly to keep things simple. Worked first time they were powered on and the wiring doesn't look terrible.

I went to home depot and picked up the wire. It is solid copper doorbell wire, 20 gauge. The stuff off the shelf is stranded, this stuff was on the rack they have to get for you.

The carclo optics are a pretty tight beam in my opinion. I was kind of surprised how high I needed my light. That is the price we are going to pay until other optics that work with the bjb connectors are developed.

I'm currently running a single driver for all 24, so I don't have the ability to turn down the whites or blues individually. That will come when I add the next 12 LEDs and another driver. Went in steps to keep the cost down. The color at 2:1 looks pretty good to me though. 17-20k in my opinion. Pleased with the way kit turned out, and the company I bought them from. Very nice kit for the money. Can't wait to see how the tank responds.

Thanks for the info, so will the stranded 20 Ga. not work? That is all they had at Radio Shack, but I could always check out lowes and see if they have it?

Just take your time with it...if you have another light for the tank, use it...and take a week to make sure everything is soildered tightly to ensure you don't blow your investment!!!!!

Anyone ever placed a group order for LEDs and drivers to get the price down. I am currently looking at ordering through cutter electronics for a 60 led build. The next price break is at 100.

I would get solid for the bjb connectors. Stranded is fine for soldering, but is not good with the bjb. It holds the wire a certain way once inserted. Stranded wire will become a wire mess once pushed in.

Stuff I bought was $.22/ft and comes as a twisted pair so you get two feet of wire for that price.

Lol. Well here's a little dose of duh for ya. Ive been looking at my tank wondering if I should add more lights to it. And it turns out I never turned up the brightness on "daylight program 2". I accidentally put it on program one and the lights got about 30 percent brighter. Duh

Lol. Well here's a little dose of duh for ya. Ive been looking at my tank wondering if I should add more lights to it. And it turns out I never turned up the brightness on "daylight program 2". I accidentally put it on program one and the lights got about 30 percent brighter. Duh

What kind of controller are you using for you dimming capabilities?

Back