Led lights

gareth.hubbarde

Hi all, I have a juwel rio 300 tsnk with 4 t5 bulbs (1047mm). I am considering replacing them with leds, a few questions though.

1, is it worth it, are leds much better than t5s?
2, if I want to keep the hood are the led tubes that fit t5s any good?
3, would it be worth losing the hood altogether and putting leds over the top?
4, can anyone recommend leds here in the UK?

I must say my t5s are good and recently installed 4 new bulbs, (previous owner had 4 white tubes) so this will be a saving project for next year. Thought I'd get advice now.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

1..maybe...define better?
2..no not really..
3..probably more choices that way..
4..not me

1. I have LEDs, but I don't like the shadows they cause. T5's don't cause as much shadowing and I think they provide more light to the corals because of that. I just couldn't afford to change T5's often enough to keep them effective.
2 & 3. Ditch the hood.
4. Ecotech or Kessels but they are expensive.

LED's are said to remain effective for 5 years. How much would you spend on T5's during that period? If T5's aren't too expensive for your purpose, I'd keep them. Some are using hybred LED/T5 Fixtures. Personally, I like that idea best... Long lasting LEDs and a couple of small T5 Bulbs to eliminate shadowing.

depending on how your hood is constructed, you might still be able to mount LEDs in it.

i was able to mount 4 AI Vegas in my hood using their rail system, but if you get creative with the hardware, you should be able to come up with something.

as for the "is it worth it" question... well that depends. everything has trade offs. i prefer the tradeoffs with LEDs to normal bulb based lighting, but YMMV

Assuming a mixed reef, when it comes to light itself, T5 lighting is much more diffused and better for coral growth.
LED is much cheaper to run, and the good ones, can easily match T5, the CCB's not so much but stI'll do a great job, just not much control over colour and no special effects if your into that kinda stuff.

IMO, some of the best lighting is the MH and T5 or T5 and LED.

Back