LED replacement for 36" Current Nova Extreme Pro on 70g mixed reef?

Candi

Looking for some suggestions. I have a 70 RR Oceanic tank and have used a 36" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 fixture ( six 39 watt bulbs) on it for years and years with no complaints. However the fixture is showing it's age, fans are failing (screws rusted/broke so I can't even easily access to try and replace the fans) and I'm considering switching to LED pending price & most importantly if my corals would continue to do well. Tank is softies/LPS/few SPS

I was looking at the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System 36-48" unit. Would that be at all comparable to what I'm using now?

Thank you for any suggestions! I've had most of my corals for over 10yrs so I really don't want to do anything to hurt/upset them :)

Attachments

• DSC_4181.jpg
    DSC_4181.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2
Avoid those LEDs by Current. There are better options available.

It's really going to come down to your budget and what features are important to you. A couple AI Prime HD would work well.

Just know your tank will look VERY different and shading will become an issue with LEDs. Used T5 fixtures are all over the place and at good prices.

I agree with rtparty. Getting something like a used ATI T5 fixture is probably your best bet if you are worried about price. My issue with going from a T5 fixture to LED's is the lack of hanging options, at least for me. I wanted something that fit the length of the tank and there are only a couple of options. IMO, the best fixture that was like T5's was the Buildmyled fixtures. They were a little pricey but fit the length of the tank and you could even tell them which led's you wanted. Unfortunately the pot business was too great and they ended up dropping their aquarium line of fixtures.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm going to see if I can't dremel off the screws to replace the fans first, while continuing to look for a solid used fixture instead of jumping to LEDs :)

Back