LED Vs metal halide

DanJ70

i want to change my metal halide lights to leds, my temperature was fluctuating about three degrees because of my lights and im not running a chiller. for the price of the chiller it would be smart to just put that money towards the new leds. does anyone have any good info about what company is the best for new lighting.

TheFishMan65

I prefer DIY. My next choice would probably be the new Ecotech Radions, but I expect each company has it pluses and minuses.

James77

Team RC
i want to change my metal halide lights to leds, my temperature was fluctuating about three degrees because of my lights and im not running a chiller. for the price of the chiller it would be smart to just put that money towards the new leds. does anyone have any good info about what company is the best for new lighting.

WHat are your temps fluctuating to? There is nothing wrong with temps fluctuating at all, and corals can take pretty high temps if they are used to swings since they happen naturally on the reefs. My temps have gone to 86-87 and the coral looked happier than ever, I have my controller set to kill the lights at 87.5

pmrossetti

led choices--Vertex Illumina, Ecotech Radion, Aqua Illumination Sol, Maxspect Mazarra, Ecoxotic Panorama, Acan Lighting, Orphek

DIY leds--Rapid Led, Reefledlights

Budget fixtures--Apollo Reef, Evolution led

igadget56

I am very new to this so someone else may chime in.
http://www.evolutionledlight.com/
I have the older model 200 W with 1w LED's. I have them hanging with little ratchets so it's very easy to raise and lower. I have 4 LPS corals and all are doing excellent. Now I see they are dimmable, that's probably why I got the my second one at cost from my LFS. Like I said, I am a newbie don't know if they are as good as the older technology but they're working great for me

pmrossetti

They're decent for the money. The 1 watt leds have been improved to 2 watt Bridglux leds which will give better par.
The main thing to watch in those fixtures, from the reviews, is the cooling. They have ultra thin heat sinks so the fans are critical. If one goes out the fixture will probably overheat. good luck with it.

rehab

My 2 choices:

Radion looks great on paper and based on what ecotech released.

Or

AI SOL or Phoenix.

rehab

One of the local guy, Andy, is the tester for Radion. He updated often on his unit and so far so good. You are right about the full spectrum being a plus.

igadget56

And your wisemen don't know how it feels......to be Thick as a Brick.
Ian Anderson, Jethro Tull

I bet you are in your early fifties.

zigzag1

A temperature swing of a few degrees is rarely a problem. A small fan directed at the water's surface or at the sump can help if you feel temperature is too high. The fan can be run by the same timer as your MH lights. I did it this way for many years before I went to a controller. IMO, too many folks think a chiller is the only solution to high temperatures. Personally, I'm waiting for LED technology to develop and prices to drop before going that direction. MH used to be similarly expensive to how LED are currently, but are much lower now that supply has met demand. LED is sure to be the same. JMTC & GL!

And, welcome to Reef Central!

ken1977

I'm new to the hobby, I have a 50 gallon starphire cube. I want a good lighting system. any suggestions?