LED's flicker

tronyony

Hi everybody, I've gone as long a scan without asking for help but I think I'm in a pickle and need some help. I just got my Apex, connected to wifi, outlets doing what they are supposed to do. My problem is that when I try to use the dimming outlets on the base the LED's flicker. If I leave the Cat5 unhooked to where the LED's run at full there is no flicker. I'm sure it's something simple but I have no idea.

Here is one of my VAR outlets:

Set OFF
If Time 09:00 to 10:00 Then 455UP
If Time 10:00 to 19:00 Then 455ON
If Time 19:00 to 20:00 Then 455DOWN

Profile:

455UP
Ramp 60
SI 0
EI 100

455ON
Ramp 0
SI 100
EI 100

455DOWN
Ramp 60
SI 100
EI 0

These are the same settings for 3 other Drivers/Outlets/Profiles

If somebody could help me out that would be swell.

Thank you,
Tony

When & under what conditions do they flicker ? All the time? When at lower intensities? ???

Hey Russ,

They flicker all the time. If I set my outlets/profiles up right and I think I did, they should be at 100% and they still flicker. This Apex is a crazy cool device and I have just begun to tap its potential.

Thanks,
Tony

Oh, I guess I could have give a little info on my setup.

LED's DIY 10W chips
Drivers Meanwell HLG-80H-48B

Each driver has 4 chips in series and run at a voltage of about 39V without a dimmer.

Use a 9v battery to supply a steady control voltage to the driver's dimming inputs (be careful to get the polarity correct); this will make the driver output at about 90%. If the flicker continues, I would suspect a problem the driver. If no flicker, then you may have a problem with the VarSpd port.

Have you tried the other VS jack?

Hi, I connected the 9V battery to each of the drivers an there is no flicker. Did some more troubleshooting.

Any one driver connected to any one V port = no flickering and a voltage from the V port @ 10.2V steady

A second driver connected to any other V port = slight flicker and the Voltage on the first dimmer drops to 9.1-9.0 and the voltage on the second V port is also around 9.1-9.0 fluctuating

Third driver connected to either of the last 2 V ports = significant flicker and the voltages drop down to 6.9-7.4, 5.8-6.0, and 7.0-8.0 fluctuating

With all four V ports turned on and no drivers connected the voltage on each port is a steady 10.2ish

Thanks,
Tony

Hmmm, do I need to add a supplemental power supply to the Apex base at the spot next to the aquabus connection where it says power? The only power I have going to it is from the supplied "USB" cable that came with it coming from the the EB8.

Thanks,
Tony

I don't know how much load the HLG series place on the VS ports, but I suspect that 2 drivers is too much. The Apex can handle a load of about 20 mA on each VS port.

Check the specs for the HLGs to see if you can determine the load placed by the dimming circuitry.

I don't see it either. You might post in the DIY forum and ask if anyone has measured the load placed by the dimming circuitry.

I can measure it if you can tell me what to use. I have a wattsup meter for my RC stuff. Measures volts, amps and watts in line with the source and the load. Will this work or do I need something else?

Tagging along on your thread. I have a similar issue during RampUp and RampDown, the leds flicker as they brighten or dim from 0-10v.

However, this is the only time they flicker, and I am using a Buckblock, A009-D-V-2100

I e-mailed Meanwell and asked if they know the mah draw on the dimming circuit. Waiting to hear back from them. I also e-mailed Neptune with the same information I've provided here. Still waiting to here back from them.

Side note, I have 2 drivers connected to one VS port and there is no flicker and the voltage is a steady 10.2V

If it is a case of 1 driver on each port is too much, what are my options? New drivers. I looked but Meanwell doesn't make an 80W 48V in the ELN series which if I understand correctly is a driver known to work with the Apex. Any suggestions?

FYI, My Wolf Eel has decided that it is ok to chill in my hand/fingers. Coolest thing I've ever seen!

Thanks,
Tony

I don't know how much load the HLG series place on the VS ports, but I suspect that 2 drivers is too much. The Apex can handle a load of about 20 mA on each VS port.

Check the specs for the HLGs to see if you can determine the load placed by the dimming circuitry.

Russ,

Here is what Meanwell said about the dimming circuit on my Meanwell HLG-80H-48B drivers: "It is less than 0.15 mA for per unit."

Thanks,
Tony

Back