LEDs over 40"x17" LPS dominated Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed this in my reading, but how do you test each LED to make sure the parallel strings will be similar? I have all of my supplies now so I would like to start doing some tests on the leds.

Build it all. Then turn down your driver current. That way if your strings are imbalanced one won't be tragically over-amped. Using the 1 ohm resistors, assay the balance. If no string is over your desired current turn up the current until the highest string is where you want them.

At this point you can start the balancing process. You want the current around the desired current as this gives the truest balance readings.

Thanks k! Is there a thread where someone has done this process and explained how they did either by written or video instructions?

Here is what I know:

Each string should have as near as possible vF.

I should have a fuse in place for each string (but which kind?-https://www.reefledlights.com/your-account/products-page/fuses-fuse-holders-resistors/1000ma-quick-blow-fuse/)

I might need resistors on each string? Or the potentiometer?

I ordered this set from Rapid Led to control two different drivers using one power source. This should be ok to do, with parallel strings right? Because the drivers are separate?

* 1 x 10V AC Adapter

* 2 x 10K Ohm Linear Potentiometers

* 1 x DC Power Connector

* 1 x Face Plate and Case

* 2 x Rubber knobs

* 2 x Face Plate screws

PS: I do have an extra driver just in case I should put the string on 2 separate drivers

Last edited:
Going over the Summary with your info in it kcress:

Two ways: The first is to string far more LEDs in a string. Using a 36V or 48V driver or at least 24V. 12V borders on the ridiculous.

48V/2.2V = 21 LEDs
36V/2.2V = 16 LEDs
24V/2.2V = 10 LEDs

How would one string more than 12 leds in one string? Would this not cause an issue? Are you saying it is less dangerous than parallel?

I am using 60-48D drivers. The string I am worried about has 20 LEDs:

10 Cool White XP-G
6 Nuetral White XP-G
4 Warm White XP-G

I also have another group I could do- 16 leds- 10 Cool blue XP-Es and 6 Royal Blue XP-Es

Oh another question, if the info is the same and the vf tests out so that the strings are about even, does it matter if I use the same amount of one color vs the other string.

IE: can I use 6 cool white, 3 neutral, and 1 warm white on one string, then 4 cool white, 3 neutral, and 3 warm white on the other?

I did a calculation that says I could do 16 led's together, but thats at 3.0...

With XP-Es, would I be able to string 16 together on one string?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back