Legal collection

bipolarbear

I was wondering if anyone knew of a country where it is legal for a tourist to go and collect coral with the proper permits and ship the coral back to the US?

according to what i know about reefs not likely as most reefs are protected eco systems. it isn't likely that a tourist can collect because any harvesting that is done can only be done by select individuals that maintain the reefs to insure that they are not over harvested.

and if a country did aloow tourists to do so they wouldn't make it public so if you really want to collect your own you'll need to do alot of phone time with reef preverves before you get the answer you want.

it isn't likely that a tourist can collect because any harvesting that is done can only be done by select individuals that maintain the reefs to insure that they are not over harvested.
If only that were true...

Most countries in the Indo-Pacific where reefs grow allow anyone to collect. Many require permits, some don't. Don't expect to go over there though and just be allowed to collect, even if a permit isn't needed. Outsiders taking things is usually highly frowned upon and can land you in some hot water with the locals.

Importing corals into the US is the hard part. Unless you import a lot of corals regularly the cost and hassle aren't worth it. First of all you need a CITES permit. Getting one takes a long time and work and can cost a looot of money. You also have to bring the corals in through a designated port of entry (usually LA) and have the required FWS or USDA forms. Some shippers will also require you to jump through hoops and fill out lots of forms too.

In the end it's about the most expensive way to get corals and a great way to ruin a vacation.

I figured it would probably be a PITA to try to do it legally, and I have no intention of trying to smuggle anything. I just thought it would be a really cool vacation to visit someplace and be able to bring home some exotic coarls with me.

Guess I'll just have to go someplace to do some diving and take lots of pictures. :D

that is starnge i have never heard about people actually being able to harvest corals unless they were residents of that country?

lol since i live in sydney australia i want to go to great barrier reef
and get some sps and skunks and corals. Lol if any one got the chance they would do it even if it is illegal.

that is what i would love to do one day, but i always assumed it was illegal and i can't get them to US all the easily.

i have heard that the Great Barrier Reef has showed signs of mass bleaching does the australian government do anything to try to preserve some of its spieces?

Im not sure since i am 16 but I havent heard of anything yet.
John Howard didnt care about the environment he just cared about the money. Now that Kevin Rudd is the new Prime Minister I am sure hell be trying his best to help preserve the environment.

that is good to hear. with the diversity in animal life that the reef has it would be a real shame to have it lost to pollution and over harvesting.

Yes you can. Different parts of the reef have different protection statuses, some of which allow limited collection assuming you have the proper permits. IIRC nothing collected there can be exported though. I'm not sure who does the permitting or how much collection is allowed, but there is some.

greenbean36191 I didnt no you could and you sure no more than me since your a marine bio/ reef ecolgy lol. Your a staunch.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12455710#post12455710 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
nothing collected there can be exported though.

so what if you set up a tank there then frag what you collect and then ship out?:bum: not to agrue or anything just spit ballin ideas. but that wouldn't be a half bad idea if you can afford to have an apartment there also.

Anyone have any idea where one would go to get a Cites?sp Permit? I have friends living in Tonga.. I'm sure there's something I need :)

Im 100% sure that australia doesn not import any live animals or even fruits or vegetables in that matter of fact. Even if wood came threw they would inspect for parasites. As for exporting I wouldnt no have a clue but im sure the coral wouldnt even survive the time lenght.

hey there is always a hope. if acans and duncans are being fraged they must somehow be getting out cuz i heard that those two corals are in Australian waters only.

Your kidding right? Acans are one of the most common corals in the oceans... its just that vendors dont know that they can charge more for them because of this "Acan" fad that there is right now... they arent rare in nature at all...

If you really want to do this find a legal collector/exporter w/CITES permits. Next, following the local laws, legally collect the coral and deliver them to the exporter for shipping. Or with some $$$ you can pay the collector to go on his boat and pick your corals. He'll ship them out a week later when you arrive home.

J

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12482291#post12482291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icy1155
Your kidding right? Acans are one of the most common corals in the oceans... its just that vendors dont know that they can charge more for them because of this "Acan" fad that there is right now... they arent rare in nature at all...

you've got to be sh!tting me man. all i hear is this hype that they are so hard to get and that they are so rare. to think i fell for all that nonsence.

well its good to hear that its just a fad and not much to it. i guess that means that their price might drop a bit one day too?

thanks for the tip justinzimm might give it try when i visit my uncle their.

Back