leopard wrasses coexist?

Cozen89

Premium Member
Anyone have leopard wrasse coexist in a tank around 75 gallons?

Same type?
Different types?
With flasher and fairy wrasses?

Thanks!

should they be of the same type or does it not matter? And should they be introduced at the same time?

no i dont think it matters they are very peaceful fish, you can keep different types together and they'll get on fine, just keep in mind that their food is pods and other small crustaceans so unless they are eating prepared foods they could starve

I have 6 different leopards in a 225 and all love each other no fights at all, includes 2 bipartus, negrosensis, ornatus, geoffri, and meleagris. I love them, they are the best reef fish on earth and a 1/10 as hard to take care of as they say. Just have an established reef with a lot of pods, and have at least a 2" sand bed for them to sleep in...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9885994#post9885994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vegas_ReefMan
I have 6 different leopards in a 225 and all love each other no fights at all, includes 2 bipartus, negrosensis, ornatus, geoffri, and meleagris. I love them, they are the best reef fish on earth and a 1/10 as hard to take care of as they say. Just have an established reef with a lot of pods, and have at least a 2" sand bed for them to sleep in...

Wow your tank must look amazing. How many leopards do u think I can get away with in a 90 with a 20-30 gallon refugium/sump? I will work on growing a healthy collection of pods before I buy the leopards. Also I've heard problems about sand beds as of late. Do you have any suggestions on a tank without a full sandbed? I've seen people put a container with sand but that seems like an eyesore. Seems like the less sand maybe the less of a chance for yout tank to bomb eventually.

I dont think so...or atleast I never had good luck with it. First I had a black leopard wrasse for about 6 month, tried to add a Bipartus, but the black never would let it come out. Then I added a Ornate and a bipartus at the same time....while the ornate came out of the sand the nextday the bipartus waiting a few days and the ornate chased it around back in to the sand...never to be seen again....so I give up on trying to have more then one!!

i have an orange spooted leapord wrasse (not sure of the actuall name), a 6 line and had 2 african spotted wrasse. The 6 line has been in the tank for about 2 years and I introduced the other 3 at the same time. The 6 line went after the african spotted to the point they would never come out of the sand. Well needless to say I dont have the 2 anymore.

i'm looking on keeping 2-3 leopard wrasses together with 1 flasher wrasse and 1 fairy wrasse. Definately not a sixline tho. Those fish are mean and only good solo in my opinion. The fairy will be a solarensis and the flasher will be a carpenters or blue flasher.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9889786#post9889786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cozen89
i'm looking on keeping 2-3 leopard wrasses together with 1 flasher wrasse and 1 fairy wrasse. Definately not a sixline tho. Those fish are mean and only good solo in my opinion. The fairy will be a solarensis and the flasher will be a carpenters or blue flasher.

Add the fairy and flahsers at the same time! I just added 2 fairys to my tank when I had a lineatus and the lineatus went CRAZY going after them both...it doesnt pay any attention to the leopard though so i wouldnt worry about that. JME...but I would add them at the same time so they are all on the same page!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9889786#post9889786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cozen89

Add the leopard before the fairy. My solorensis wrasse gets a bit aggressive toward the leopard the first few days. I just added 3 M. Meleagris last week thinking it'll be nice to have a harem of them, but the bigger female kept chasing the smaller one to the point that the smaller one almost hide all the time & couldn't eat. Needless to say, I had to take the smaller one out to save her.

Back