Lesson Learned

Magga Pie

So I did my first water change today and everything was good till the end. As I was putting water back into the tank I was pouring it back onto the center brace so the water would't stur everything up. Well it overflowed into the back of my tank where all my plugs are plugged into my powerstrip.....That wasn't the best idea I blew the strip and it all started to smoke...Like the tittle says lesson learned.

Re: Lesson Learned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12839703#post12839703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Magga Pie
So I did my first water change today and everything was good till the end. As I was putting water back into the tank I was pouring it back onto the center brace so the water would't stur everything up. Well it overflowed into the back of my tank where all my plugs are plugged into my powerstrip.....That wasn't the best idea I blew the strip and it all started to smoke...Like the tittle says lesson learned.

Do you have a sump where you could add the water too

If not trying using a power head from the bucket to the tank--you can control it better.
Do you have gfi repectacles on our lines if not I would look into them--its not worth burning your house down:rolleye1:

Re: Re: Lesson Learned

Re: Re: Lesson Learned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12839715#post12839715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Do you have a sump where you could add the water too

If not trying using a power head from the bucket to the tank--you can control it better.
Do you have gfi repectacles on our lines if not I would look into them--its not worth burning your house down:rolleye1:

What is a gfi repectacles?? And yes I have a sump....next time I will use my powerhead

lol I did the same thing not too long ago. No offense ment by laughing its just that I know how you feel. I have my tank by a window so I have the power strips in the window sill. That way they arent on the floor getting wet and I dont have to worry about an electrical fire. Thank goodness my husband wasnt home when I did it too. Hes a firefighter and would have been yelling at me for hours. Try putting a couple nails or screws in the wall to where the wires hang down a little and water cant getinto them and hang them on there. that way they are out of harms way but accessible. Also make a sump/fuge for your tank. I have one and I add water into there after I clean the tank and get the pump going again the I add water as I need to through there and you dont have to worry about cleaning the front of it cause of water marks. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12839748#post12839748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Magga Pie
What is a gfi repectacles?? And yes I have a sump....next time I will use my powerhead

gfci.jpg

they stop any power surges from going any farther then the recepacle aka the main circuits in your house plus they mimize the shock for you around salt water and your tank.

IMO you should also add a grounding probe to your sump--its about 20 dollars and it saves your tank from stray currents

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12839797#post12839797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
gfci.jpg

they stop any power surges from going any farther then the recepacle aka the main circuits in your house plus they mimize the shock for you around salt water and your tank.

IMO you should also add a grounding probe to your sump--its about 20 dollars and it saves your tank from stray currents

Capn, sent you a pm but says your box is full.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lesson Learned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12839810#post12839810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
Capn, sent you a pm but says your box is full.

:mad: that isn't true--I cleaned it out yesterday and then it wouldn't except new message--Now its back to this again

I'll try again;)

Back