Lets get this over with, whats the best phosphate remover for the money?

Lets get this over with, whats the best phosphate remover for the money?

• Rowaphos

Votes: 90 35.7%
  • Seachem Phosguard

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Salifert Phosphate Killer

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Hagen Fluval Phosphate Remover

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Warner Marine Phosar

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Dr. Foster Smith Phos Pure

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Phosban

Votes: 76 30.2%
  • Kent Phos Sponge

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please mention)

Votes: 27 10.7%

• Total voters
A couple of comments.
To get accurate data you will need to correlate your findings on the poll with the total number of people using each product.
PHOSaR from Warner is relatively new and has yet to have more people try it but the ones who do will not switch back to anything else. Basically the pellet shape alows for beter flow distribution and reduces clumping of the media exposing more of it to the pasing water either in reactors or on a bag. It is denser meaning that is used in a reactor it will allow for slightly higher flow, aditionally it does not fragment, fracture as easily and has less fines which makes it very easy to rinse. (For those using Rowa you know how messy it is).
I am looking forward for the second generation of PHOSar with twice the adsorption capacity, this will call for a dose of only half a gram per gallon of aquarium water.

Second: the price comparison between Alumina based and GFO based adsorbers may be futile. Alumina is lot cheaper in general but has problems for its application in reef tanks
Basically other than for Fish Only tanks I will stay away from all Alumina based removers (Like Phosgard) as they release unatural amounts of Aluminum which makes corals react badly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8777903#post8777903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
sorry, i never realized phosguard was alumina based
Its OK that would be my first choice if I had a fish only tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8778303#post8778303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
when is the second generation phosar estimated to be released?
No date has been anounced but I know a couple of guys in the forums are trying it now so it might be just a couple of months.

The 2nd generation PhosAR will be called "PhosAR HC". It should be available in Jan or Feb. It is not in pellet form but there is currently nothing on the market comparable. It has 2x the capacity of the regular PhosAR. Since you use less, it does not depress Alklinity levels as much. I have been testing it for a couple months now and all that is said about it appears to be true.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8778099#post8778099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
Its OK that would be my first choice if I had a fish only tank.
I run reef with it, no issues.
Used rowa and phosban b4 too.
rowa worked better than phosban, but phosguard good too

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8781803#post8781803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ti
I run reef with it, no issues.
Used rowa and phosban b4 too.
rowa worked better than phosban, but phosguard good too

Hi Ti:

You may be interested in reading the results of some of those tests:

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...ly2003/chem.htm

The good news is that not all corals seem to be afected and there seems to be no long term effects. Also if rinsed well the release is reduced and if keeping a good water change regime you may be able to keep Aluminum at manaegable levels.

Is the depression of Alk really a concern with the Phosphar?

I am going to be buying a reactor and media in the next day or
two, and I am leaning heavily towards the PHosphar

I used Rowa with no results, even at 4 times the recommended dosage ...I'm now trying Phosban. Interesting how Rowa is packaged wet, while Phosban is packaged dry...does anyone know exactly why and if it has any effect on performance? Also, for those folks who use Phosban reactors, what is your flow-through rate and do you tumble your media? (yes, I know the directions say not to, but it seems that without tumbling the media would clump and channel and trap detritus)

GFO is GFO. It's rusted iron. You can change surface area by shaping it different i.e. more pourous. If you buy it wet, you need to calculate how much is water. 1oz wet GFO does not equal 1 oz dry GFO.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8964680#post8964680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LBCBJ
I used Rowa with no results, even at 4 times the recommended dosage ...I'm now trying Phosban. Interesting how Rowa is packaged wet, while Phosban is packaged dry...does anyone know exactly why and if it has any effect on performance? Also, for those folks who use Phosban reactors, what is your flow-through rate and do you tumble your media? (yes, I know the directions say not to, but it seems that without tumbling the media would clump and channel and trap detritus)

Actually, the instructions that come with the reactor say that the top 1/2" of media should tumble gently. I've always used Phosban in my reactor with good results. Before that, I used PhosLock in a mesh bag which may have helped, but I also have a large fuge full of chaeto..hard to say.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8778303#post8778303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
when is the second generation phosar estimated to be released?
PhosarHC is now available! I'll get a pic of the Jar when I get home. It's got a sweet acro pic on the jar :D(pic by Eric of FragFarmer).

Dan, I don't think it has made it's way to any retailers yet. I spoke with Warner Marine because they will be presenting their new products to the club at the meeting on the 19th

Back