Lets see some flow....

mrx66699

Lets see how much flow everyone has moving through their filtration systems. Here is what approximately 7000gph or so looks like.....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid17.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb70%2Fmrx66699%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2F20141227_185824_zps8tzcybyg.mp4&title=">

Last edited:
Here is a quick vid of my super shaggy sunset mille from a few days ago....

100 gal, 3 mp40, 1 mp10, return is a WB5000. I don't know the numbers but all my milles have awesome PE again....
th_16390805-BBF7-44E3-A248-803624996307_zpsounkfrem.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Edit. Oops, I thought it was through tank. Sorry, with a 40 gal breeder its hard to move insane water through that. Impressive Matt. I'm surprised you don't drive an F350 with a 7" lift kit, LOL! I'll leave my vid up since no one else is posting:wildone:

Matt- That is definitely a lot of flow, but i don't think you are taking head pressure into account.

And BTW- slow it down on the left side if that is supposed to be a refugium, :)

Lol Eddie head pressure is into account @ right about 18 percent ... pumps are 8600gph thats 7052gph to be exact

The flow on the left is just right to allow the cheto thats on bottom of the chamber to tumble

I think you're using the super dart gold. Super dart gold with 8' of head pressure only pumps out 2,470 gph. If I recall correctly the top of your tank is at about the 8' mark. That head calculation does not take into account any PVC fitting, valves, bulkheads, horizontal pipe, or anything else that adds to the head pressure.

Maybe I'm wrong on the pump, but there's no way you're getting 7,000 gph. Also, if you were, you'd be maxing out 3x 2" drains to your sump.

A system as complex as yours is very hard to calculate the actual head pressure, but if you want, I can help you get close.

That looks crazy. ... LOTS OF FLOW.. is that a good thing? ?.

Thats a good question Tony. Opinions vary.

Ive read 10x tank volume through sump is good. At the 7000gph Matt is doing he is at like 14 so a little over but not too bad. However, he also states half is going through refugium. Refugiums are supposed to be a low flow area.

Eddie how you figure 14 there is around 700gal total volume

I figured it on 7000 gph/500 Gal, your display tank. Tank volume /sump turnover recommendations are based on exactly that, DT vs flow through sump. Sump is not taken into consideration. ie...you can have a 1000 gal sump, and a 500 G DT. (total 1500G). At 7000gph through your system you are still moving 7000gph through your 500g DT, you are still turning at14x, sump size is indifferent.

Still I dont think you have that much flow going through their. I agree with Watchman.

Last edited:
Eddie water volume is not calculated with just display....I prolly could fit your whole system in the sump alone not even including the frag system and denitrator, now as far as flow that was worked that out yrs ago in the planning stages with help from Reeflow its about a 18% loss on head pressure

Back