Let's talk snails...

DMBillies

Having just replaced my rock in my 90 and going on a year since buying clean-up crew for any of the tanks, I am faced with the fact that we need to probably spend $100+ on snails, hermits, etc (buying these things is literally painful to me, but necessary nonetheless).

I wanted to talk about snail options that people like/dislike and why. I'm also buying snails for a barebottom for the first time, so I know I need to avoid a few different varieties I might normally buy (nassarius for example), but I'm not sure if there are particular types that might be better suited.

I like astrea snails, but hate the fact that they die when they fall on their backs.

Anyway, let's hear your thoughts.

Pickupman66

Brian, I have always had astiras and had pretty good luck with em. yes, they do tent to get caught upside down, but I have one or two that I have had for like 5 years. they are almost 2" diameter. the do a really good job though. I need to get another round soon. I go thru maybe a dozen a year or so.

NeveSSL

Got tubes?
Personally I really like astreas, too. I've just kind of accepted that I'm going to simply have to replenish once a year or so. But thats not too bad... I just jump on (or start...) reeftopia group orders. :)

Wish I had something more constructive to say!

Brandon

Mikeyjer

I really like the new snails I've got from the reeftopia order this time. I like trying all kinds of snails, it keeps the tank looking interesting with all kinds of different snails crawling around. I got some Chestnut Turbos this time, they're doing pretty good, at least they're not big like the large turbos that knocks everything over. I really like the Nerite Virgin or just the Nerite snails, they have interesting looking shells and they work hard. I like the Star Snails as well, BUT they do fall on their backs and die like the astreas do. One of the snails that work really hard and only do their work at night is that zebra stripe looking snail at Fins, they're at $5.99/ea. They don't die as easy as the other Turbo they keep, I got 3 and I still have 2 that's doing well. The other type of Turbo they keep, or critter keeps. They tend to die easily. Having to replace them all the time at $2.99/ea. gets kinda expensive. But I was able to get some to live in my tank and they've grown quite a bit. They're not warm water turbos, that's the reason why they don't do well in our tanks. I've also got some sort of snail that I have not been able to identify since I have seen nothing like them. I have a ton of them in my tank, got them along with my live rocks. They produce like mad....Another one would be Cerith Snails, but mine likes the sandbed, I think they do better with sandbed. They've produced a TON of babies everywhere.... IF you do decide to order from reeftopia, I might be interested in some Silky Tegula Snail just to try them out.

Highside

I had an outbreak of some sort of red algae in my nano a while back. It looked like red cotton balls everywhere. I put about 30 hermits in and there was no difference. I added 10 margarita snails, no difference. Finally I added 10 astreas and the mowing began. 2 weeks later there was no algae to be found. I think Astrea snails are the way to go. I think hermits are also important because they will either let you know when a snail is dying or they will just eat the snail if you don't notice it.

Pickupman66

Ohyea, get you some stomatella snails. those things are incredible. dont really see them for trade, but others round here have them. I have some, but my stock has dwindled as of lately.

DMBillies

I've had stomatella snails on and off in all of my tanks. They really seem to come and go.

Sounds like astreas are the way to go...

Noon

I had about 40 or so Strombus snails start hatching last night. And about 50 more due anytime. These lil guys go non stop and are all over my tank. My Koralias are covered right now with even more "bubbles" but im not sure if they will make it alive or not when they hatch.

I started out with maybe 20 of these snails from ipsf.com and they have boomed. Some of them have pretty neat coloring as well. Right now there are lil white dots moving all around the glass.

My Nassarius snails are busy in the sand but thats it.

The Cerith are active but slow movers.

DMBillies

Noon - I posted in your other thread and I'm definitely interested in some of those snails. That said, I'll need something to hold me over until I can get them and/or get them to reproduce for me. Of course, I guess I could order some from the site. They definitely sound interesting.

Noon

Yea, as soon as these guys start to get some size on them which shouldnt take too long, they are in a patch of algae that I couldnt scrape because of their bubbles so they will have plenty to eat thats for sure.

NeveSSL

Got tubes?
Great link, man!

Thanks for sharing that one.

Also, Noon, I'd be interested in some of those snails once everything grows a bit. :) Maybe I can trade you a frag or some phyto or some chaeto or something for some. :)

Brandon

Mikeyjer

That is a great link, finally got to identify the mystery snail, it's a Mini Turbo Snail (Collonista sp.) I've got a ton of these guys in my tank....