lfs 3tiered tank plumbing?

Bdial

I am having a beast of a problem with with my holding tanks. You know the normal three tiered systems with a sump underneath. These are older systems and they came with 1" drains and 1/2" returns. My problem is that my pump is to strong and they systems arent receiving proper flow. The 1" line is to slow. The layout is basically a straight line. I have a 1" T coming off the tank and running straight down. Where it meets another T on the second and third tanks before the sump. Can i replace the Ts with a 2" line and get more flow. The bulkheads are 1" and i cant change that. So what i want is to get a 1" x2"T and run that. That way the 1" line will not be hindered as much. Will this work?

1" pvc can handle appx 600gph gravity flow rate. 2" can handle a whomping 2400gph gravity flow. So if three 1" lines max out at 600gph and all enter a 2" line at different points. That would only equal 1800 gph total flow. Where as now the three 1" lines enter a 1" line at three different points. So the max of the 1" being 600gph it cant handle three inputs at 600 gph. Right? Its distributing them to around 200gph each. Right?

You will need to re-drill the holes to enlarge them and not just use bushings to enlarge the piping as that will give you no advantage on your drain speed. I would suggest you doing just that. Are they acrylic?

They are acrylic. As it stands the drain can only handle 600gph gravity fed. So divided up between three points thats only 200gph coming from each section. Thus maxing out the drain line. But if i allow each 1" drain to drain into a larger drain. The max flow can be reached in each smaller drain. The 2" line would allow the 1" line to drain at its max rate. I dont want to redrill the system. Its old. But if i can make the systen more efficient i want to. i think my idea will work. The 1" drain is being restricted by trying to drain the three tanks. But if i allow them to flow freely it should allow them to reach max flow. Atleast close to it. I dont want them to drain rapidly. I just need more turnover in them.

I can't imagine a 1/2" return could out flow a 1" drain. I think there is more to this issue then drain pipe diameter.

Yea. That it was poorly designed. These tanks are probably 10-15yrs old. I have a newer one that hasa bigger drain line and 1/2" input that flows super smoothly and has a great turnover with a mag 18. I think im gonna break down and drill it. I added the 2" line to the 1" bulkhead. It seems to help a good amount. But its just not the best. Im gonna try and drill a system tomorrow.

Back