LFS Fish Tales? Question About Adding Fish To New Tank..

january_girl

While buying LR at my LFS last night, one of the employees told me I could add Damsels to a tank that's only been up and running for 2 or 3 days.. She stated that the "sacrifish" will help the tank to cycle.

Is this true?

It is true that the sacrifish works but it's no better than using a frozen or fresh shrimp to kick start the cycle.

It may survive, but it will be living in horrible conditions. The die off and resulting ammonia spike from live rock alone is enough for your cycle. Plus if it lives and you don't want a damsel in your tank long term, it's VERY difficult to get back out.

+1 on getting them out. One of the biggest mistakes I've made was to put damsels in my tank. It took me about 2 hours to get all the rock out safely in order to take 5 fish out. Not worth the trouble. IMO don't get them. They are very territorial, and if you get shy fish, more than likely you won't see them. The die off from the LR should be enough to start your cycle, but you can toss in a raw shrimp or the like to get it going. Welcome to saltwater.

Inhumane and unnecessary. Use a pinch of fishfood daily (just as you would for a damsel) and the tank will cycle. Stop the fishfood a day after you see ammonia spike, and when you're ammonia-free, you're cycled.

It's not the fish that cycles the tanks, you may tell them from me, it's feeding it. It's only if the fish DIES that it cycles the tank, and that's completely unnnecessary.

If that is a sample of their expertise, do not believe them about substrate, skimmers, filters (unneeded) and medications, among others, and I would not trust them on a proper tank, either. That advice is from the 1980's and prior.

At the top of this forum you will find several threads marked with the symbol *. Read those thoroughly before you buy anything.

Most of us here have listened to our lfs before we found this site and payed dearley for it so any questions just ask here and we will gladley help you out and save you a ton of money on mistakes.The lfs is just looking to make a sale:mad2:

Inhumane and unnecessary. Use a pinch of fishfood daily (just as you would for a damsel) and the tank will cycle. Stop the fishfood a day after you see ammonia spike, and when you're ammonia-free, you're cycled.

It's not the fish that cycles the tanks, you may tell them from me, it's feeding it. It's only if the fish DIES that it cycles the tank, and that's completely unnnecessary.

If that is a sample of their expertise, do not believe them about substrate, skimmers, filters (unneeded) and medications, among others, and I would not trust them on a proper tank, either. That advice is from the 1980's and prior.

I agree 1000%.

inhumane way to treat a fish. You can make ammonia by putting a piece of raw shrimp in. You have to be very careful with LFS's

Thanks a lot to everyone that has replied. You have been very helpful and I appreciate your time.. and so do the Damsels from my LFS. Had I listened to the LFS without asking first, I'd have one or two in my tank right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202098#post14202098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
So january_girl, off topic I know, but what calendar? :]

lol.. If any, it'd be one of those pocket planner kind..:rollface:

(It's my birthday month)

Sorry, I took your "I work with tools" differently. Figured it was an occupational hazard. ;)

Happy Birthday!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202662#post14202662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by loosecannon
The live rock is all you need. J girl let the damsels live!

I will not be putting damsels (or any other fish) in my tank until it has cycled. Well, maybe a frozen shrimp or something I can buy that has already expired..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202682#post14202682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Sorry, I took your "I work with tools" differently. Figured it was an occupational hazard. ;)

Happy Birthday!

Actually, that is a direct.. indirect comment about a few of my co-workers. *That sentence totally makes sense in my head*
:spin2:

Thanks!

And thus my assumption that you were a model. But that's okay. In my minds eye, you still look hot. :]

Peace.

Loosecannon, I'm very happily married. I was merely being friendly, and as you can see, my confusion was understandable.

If you know of any women out there that prefer not to be thought as hot, then I'll apologize to them for it. ;)

BTW, in my mind's eye, loosecannon is quite the body builder. If you prefer to be thought of differently, then do tell. :p

Back