LFS guy told me not to do a DSB - what's your opinion?

How much water flow should you have to keep from having dead spots in the DSB? I don't know how much flow to have in my 75g display tank.

Water flow doesn't affect dead spots in the DSB very much. The animals in the sandbed do the aeration. I stock my DSB carefully, although that's expensive. If the tank is properly stocked, a DSB can be successful, although I'm not sure it's always the easiest tank to run.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8171635#post8171635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Oh Geez !!! You shouldn't have said that, he will get a case of the big head now and we won't be able to tolerate him!

:lol:

Indeed!!!! You think I'm going to take that type of treatment (water not included) from a RAT???

:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8173871#post8173871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
If the tank is properly stocked, a DSB can be successful, although I'm not sure it's always the easiest tank to run.

Jonathan,

I think for the novice a DSB is the best way to go. Sure, after they get experience and know how much time they will spend on tank maintenance (sure, sure you say that 3 day old tank will get almost constant care-- I know better than that Newbie ;)) and you can always change the system as you mature in the hobby.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8186091#post8186091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
:lol:

Indeed!!!! You think I'm going to take that type of treatment (water not included) from a RAT???

:D

Jonathan,

I think for the novice a DSB is the best way to go. Sure, after they get experience and know how much time they will spend on tank maintenance (sure, sure you say that 3 day old tank will get almost constant care-- I know better than that Newbie ;)) and you can always change the system as you mature in the hobby.

Doesn't that change require a complete breakdown as you will be unlocking a lot of nitrates in the process? Just how easy is it to change?

I'm going through this very desicion process for what depth sand bed to have. My LFS says stay away... others say it's the easiest...

So no Gobys or stars, why?

T

Yeah, I would like more info on what happens if you get rid of the DSB in a few years. Will the tank crash or have another type of cycle or something?

Many goby fishes and all sand-sifting starfish will eat the animals that make the sand live. That goes to some degree for hermit crabs and many other fishes as well.

It's possible to remove a sandbed by siphoning it out of the tank, if the live rock isn't supported by the sand. Otherwise, reassembly required, although the reassembly is not that hard, in general.

Back