LFS Keep claiming their fish aren't cyanide caught must be lying!

Jyetman

My kole tang of nearly 7 years past away and have decided to replace him with a foxface rabbitfish to help control algae. One of my LFS in the area has saltwater sales everyweek and included a one spot foxface for $20 normally $40 I jumped on it and bought one. I've bought other fish there before but not often since my fish last years. The foxfaces all were very skinny but eating still seemed little fishy to me but took the chance. First day introduced he was eating, good color and acted normal for a week then found him dead in the morning. Most of my fish that die don't pass very quickly but these guys did. Couple weeks later another LFS had same fish and they too look skinny but eating. Guy was like can't discount him have to get $40 bucks. I was anxious to try again so bought him not until I first asked if the fish he sells are not caught with cyanide hes like ohhhhh no not my fish. That fish lasted almost three weeks and in the same way ate, good color and swam normally up until the last day he died suddenly. What can I do to buy fish that aren't poisoned how do you tell? Is buying them online a better way? Well dumping money for a fish that just going to die like that seems dishonest certainly isn't going to work.

Are you quarantining and treating them for anything such as internal parasites? I'm not saying it isn't cyanide as I'm sure this is still more prevalent then people would like to believe but would help to know what your qt procedure is, how much you are
feeding etc? You say most of your fish that die don't pass very quickly, how often are you losing fish?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Are you quarantining and treating them for anything such as internal parasites? I'm not saying it isn't cyanide as I'm sure this is still more prevalent then people would like to believe but would help to know what your qt procedure is, how much you are
feeding etc? You say most of your fish that die don't pass very quickly, how often are you losing fish?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The only fish I have lost is the Kole tang who I had for nearly seven years and the two foxfaces. No other fish most over seven years old have died. There is a blenny and rainfordi goby which I bought a month or so ago they both are doing well. I live in a small apartment no room for a qt tank. There is a UV sterilizer inline which I know isn't a save guard but is all I have.

Well, I've never heard a store say: "Yes, our fish are caught with cyanide."
True but I was looking for facial expressions or a hesitated response. After reading more on this even the LFS wouldn't even know so scratch that.

True but I was looking for facial expressions or a hesitated response. After reading more on this even the LFS wouldn't even know so scratch that.

Yea, there is no way for a LFS to know if their stock was caught with cyanide.

I think that if you have room for a tank you have room for a QT tank.
I have a 10 tank I bought from petco I do all my QT in. Recently I bought another one in there 1 dollar per gallon to do ttm.

I recently bought a watchmen goby from live aquaria that was super skinny and died on the second day. Scooter Blenny doa, fairy wrasse is doing fine and so is the lawn mower. That my experience with online dealers.

Back