Life-expectancy of an acrylic tank

artc1688

After close to 2.5 years at this awesome hobby, I am a bit concern about the stability & durability of my 60 gal Acrylic tank.
This morning I was cleaning the tank, and I noticed the front panel of the tank was a bit bulged outwards. I purchased this tank used and want to make sure I do not come home and find a puddle of water on my wooden floor.
Any advice or wisdom on how much bulging or life expectancy would be considered at-risk?

thx
AC

My acrylic tank is probably 10 years old and looking good. My guess is if built well and no harsh chemicals used on it it should last practically forever. Curious to know what others think.

What's the half life of acrylic? Like, 100's of years?

If it's built correctly, it should outlast you....

Re: Life-expectancy of an acrylic tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811857#post7811857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by artc1688
After close to 2.5 years at this awesome hobby, I am a bit concern about the stability & durability of my 60 gal Acrylic tank.
This morning I was cleaning the tank, and I noticed the front panel of the tank was a bit bulged outwards. I purchased this tank used and want to make sure I do not come home and find a puddle of water on my wooden floor.
Any advice or wisdom on how much bulging or life expectancy would be considered at-risk?

thx
AC
JUST AN FYI,,,,, NEVER USE SUPER GLUE ON IT,IE fragging, drip

Although the acrylic material should last for a long time.
It is the bonding and the impacts from heat (strong reef lighting) may impact the shape and integrity of the tank over an extensive period of time.

if its tenecor i would say not long :p mine bows BAD the first day

other brands last awhile at the lfs i work at we have seaclear i think and they are over 5 years old and still look fine,.... and that is with alot of abuse..( kids hitting them.... people leaning on them... chemicals sprayed

Back