Lifereef calcium reactor problems.

FunFishin24

Hello everyone. I need some help if y'all don't mind. I have a LCR1 with 12" extension on it with ARM course media in it. From everything I have read & researched that media requires a lower ph to melt. I have my effluent drip rate at 1 drip per second & my co2 is also at 1 bubble per second. My controller is set at 6.3 ph inside the unit.
Questions and/or Problems--

-I always end up with excess co2 build up at the top of my reactor. Within a 24 hr period the whole top is a bubble inside. (It is modified so the effluent tubing comes from a "T" in the recirc line so it doesn't effect my drip rate.) I didn't think at 1 bpm of co2 that was to much. But with this problem, it creates my second problem..

-I can't seem to get it dialed in. I can't get the dkh of the effluent above 17 & therefor the alk in my DT keeps dropping. I start at 8dkh in my tank & 24 hrs later it has dropped to 6.8.

I've tried increasing co2 input, lowering ph inside reactor, and raising the effluent drip rate (not all these at once but these are the adjustments I've tried.). [emoji35]frustrated.

The reactor might be to small for my tank (600g total volume) but I don't have that much demand as far as corals go yet (all corals are still small frags), so I figured it would work for now. Maybe that's my whole problem. If I need a new/bigger unit, what are some good recommendations & why?
Any input would be greatly appreciated since I have struggled with it for the past couple months. Thanks for taking the time to hear about my problems.

Hi
I have the same set up on my tank (150g) , I had a lot problem to keep my effluent stable, I ajusted in the morning and I checked again after 5 hours and my effluent stopped, so I opened the valve and the gas inside of the Calcium reactor was released and the drop started coming again.
To much problems, my alk dropped every day.
How I fixed it. Peristaltic pump pulling the water from calcium reactor.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935T mediante Tapatalk

TLC--thanks for the video. Might play around with that method. Ironically I ordered a new aquarium plants regulator & it should hopefully arrive this weekend. I also ordered some TLF reborn media as well because I've read a lot of good stuff about it as I've been researching my problems. Might try changing media & starting all over. Thanks for your time & your advice.

Eraser2001---thanks for the advice as I've read a lot of people have went to that method. Although I'm not really having clogging trouble as much as other problems but I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

Definitely use the TLF Reborn. HUGE difference. I too had problems getting the ARM to dissolve.
My other problem was the quick release input. There is a screen in there that kept clogging. After I ditched that, all was well as far as flow.
Trapped gas I never had a problem with.
And I replaced the original cheap reg with the AP reg.

All that said, I did eventually move to a peristaltic pump, pulling the effluent through, and a custom built dual stage reg. I wasn't have an issue, but did it just for max consistency and no c02 dump from an almost empty co2 tank.

Reborn seconded!!!!!!

OP, 1 bubble per second or per minute? Assume the former. Can you run the reactor under slight pressure. Helps a lot to dissolve the CO2. Also, if you can remove effluent from the top, that clears any gas buildup.

Thanks for all the advice. Once I change out the media to "reborn" I will change the effluent back to top of reactor to release excess gas. Does "reborn" supplement magnesium? Also, the recirc pump for this reactor is a blue line 10hd. Only moves 182 gph. Should I look at putting a bigger recirc pump on it or is it ok. It's what Jeff recommends for this unit but after looking at different reactors, they move more water through the unit for better recirculation.

Does reborn dose mag or do I have to add a mag media? Should I replace the blue line 10hd with a bigger recirc pump?

No, you will still need to keep an eye on mag and dose occaisionally.
You can try adding mag media, but it's a gamble. Add too much and you'll end up having to try removing some. Too much hassle IMO when Mag doesn't move much. Just dose a little when needed.
The blueline is fine.

d2mini--thank you for your reply & input. Really helpful. I was hoping my stuff would've arrived this weekend but it didn't. ☹️ maybe tomorrow.

The Blueline is likely sufficient. The recirculating pump is just keeping the water in the reactor mixed.

Back