Lifespan of Wrasses and Basslets?

Zionas

Since I am not sure if my 65-gal (yeah, another change in tank size but this time it'll be final) tank will have enough room for a Coral Beauty or Flameback Angel as my centerpiece fish, I will be turning to Basslets and Wrasses as my source of bright colors. Which leads me to an important question, under good conditions, how long can Wrasses and Basslets live? I've been doing research and trying to select fish that have a good chance of living longer lives.

Before I get to the topic of this thread, I've found numerous posts saying Clowns can live 10 years+, even over 20 years, the Blue-Green Reef Chromis 8-15, Hawkfish up to 10 (but RIP inverts), Yellow Watchman Gobies 10+ (it is for this reason and looks wise that it's the Goby I am most interested in), and Scissortail Dartfish and non-Firefish Dartfish (5+). Dottybacks on average live 5-7 years which is acceptable, but they're too aggressive.

Coral Beauties I heard live 6-8 years on average, maybe more, and I assume it would be around the same for other Centropyge angels. I've essentially ruled out some fish such as Cardinals (3-5 years), most Blennies and Gobies (2-5 years, 1-2 for Neon), Firefish (3-4 years), and the Blackcap Basslet (3-5 years).

Now, getting to the topic of this thread. Starting with Wrasses, I find the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses very beautiful. I know they'd be amazing as a centerpiece fish. I'm eyeing the 3"-4" species among both genuses, but from the research I've done, their beauty is very fleeting as the Flashers on average live 4-5 years and the Fairies live 5-6 years. Another small fish I'm interested in are the Pink Streak Wrasses which are only 2.5" max and the Possum Wrasses but then again they live for 3-4 years.

I don't know if internet sources are accurate, but it seems to me that among the Wrasses (within 5") the ones that are easy but relatively long-lived are the Lined species and the genus Halichoeres. Using what I've found about the Six-Line as reference, it seems that their genus (Four-Lined and Mystery are the ones I'm also considering) can live up to 10 years with good care. I've also read that the Halichoeres (Yellow Coris, Melanthurus, Red Lined, Vrolik's) can manage 7-8, possibly even more, with good care.

I'm also looking at the Pacific Peppermint and the Yellow Candy Hogfish. I haven't found any sources on the lifespan of the former but Google says the latter can do around 11 years. I'd assume the same for the former.

Should I refrain from buying terminal males as a precaution? Does it mean that if any species of Wrasse or Hogfish is a terminal male, it won't have much life left in it?

Onto Basslets. Most sources I've found say Royal Grammas on average live at least 5-7 years, and I've seen reefers make posts saying how they have managed to keep theirs for 8+ years, even 10+. I'd assume the same for the Swissguard and Lantern Basslets. The Assessors (Golden and Randall's), again, I haven't found a source on their longevity, but I am assuming they're similar to the Royal Gramma and Swissguard.

The Blackcap seems to be an anomaly among the Basslets. It says they only do 3-5 years. Maybe it's because they are a deep water species?

I am setting goals for myself. First, if I can keep a fish for 3 years. Then, 6 years. Then 10 years and above. Would these goals be too unattainable for a first time saltwater hobbyist?

It would be really cool to have fish that I started my tank with be with me for a long time.

The two dealers I plan to buy fish from have tank-bred Clownfish and some Angels. The rest are wild caught from Indonesia or the Philippines. The Atlantic species would obviously have to be flown from the Caribbean. One of them quarantined their fish for a week, the other 3-4 days. They're both Chinese.

P.S. Regardless of the species, when given the option, I'll try to buy the smallest one possible. If not, I'll just have to hope for the best.

There has been research done on clownfish (A. percula) that came to the conclusion that percula females can get 30 years or older in the wild. For such a small fish this is rather unusual. Damselfish of the same size usually max out at around 10 years.

Research done on Angels found that P. sextriatus (large angel) males can live for up to 70 years, C. bicolor (medium size angel) get up to 18 years old, and C. loriculus (small angel) maxes out at 8 years (only buy juveniles of those). While not included in the investigation, I would guess that midget angel like C. argi get no older than 6 years, possibly even less.

Marine Bettas should be able to reach 30 years or more while the closely related Assessors probably max out somewhere between 8 and 15 years.
Grammas should be in the same range as Assessors, with G. melacara as deep water fish rather on the higher end, but unfortunately you only find large adults in stores which likely accounts for the reportedly short lifespan.

Gobies are said to not get particularly old (4 years) but I have so far not been able to find hard data on that.

Generally you can estimate a fish's maximum age range based on a couple of parameters:
- maximum size: usually the larger a fish can get the older it may get.
- lifestyle: calm fish generally get older than hyperactive ones.
- depth/preferred temperature: fish from colder and/or deeper water regions usually get older. There are Arctic fish that get 300 years or older.
- special lifestyles: the safety the symbiosis with anemones gives clownfish is likely the reason why they can get at least 3 times older than other damselfish of the same size.
- phylogenetic family: this varies largely and kind of gives you the baseline for the other criteria.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To the final question, yes, I try to get my fish as young as possible.
IMO, people who spend extra money on show size fish are either ignorant or have too much money to waste. This is particularly important with extremely pricey fish that don't get very old to begin with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My Royal Gramma live ~5-6 years for me. My friend, Outerbank, have 25+ yo pair of Ocellaris that are still spawn regularly, and 25+ yo Yellow tang.
I think Fairy and Flasher wrasses are short live, likely maxed out at about 5-7 years.

I tried for small young wrasse if there is a choice. I love to see them grown, plus having them with me longer. Pictures I took of them are clearly dated. I may have more accurate information in the future.

What about the Lined Wrasses and the Halichoeres Wrasses, Hogfish, and other Basslets? Those are the ones I’m most curious about.

Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Gobies, Damsels and Chromis I’ve heard can live pretty long.

What about the Lined Wrasses and the Halichoeres Wrasses, Hogfish, and other Basslets? Those are the ones I'm most curious about.

Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Gobies, Damsels and Chromis I've heard can live pretty long.

[MENTION=13049]orion[/MENTION] Cam on ban (excuse my Vietnamese).

It would be awesome if I can have my fish with me for a long time. I’m definitely looking for a couple of old veterans. :)

I have a pair of clowns about 26-27 years old that still spawn every two weeks. My sail fin tang is a year younger then them. A yellow tang I have had about 2 years less than the clowns. I was told it was 4 years old when I got it from the previous owner. That would make it about 28-29. I have a marine beta I got as an adult form another tank that I have had 16 years. Sadly I have not kept track of when I got a lot of my fish.
I have had a lot of neon gobies for 2-3 years. Most you see for sale are adults so their life expectancy is probably 3-4 years. I have not been able to keep any on the tiny commercial ones form captive breeders long term. I think they are just too tiny. They never make it out of QT.

My wrasses usually die off after 4-5 years. But i had clowns for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[MENTION=39528]scuzy[/MENTION] What genus were they from? I heard Fairy and Flasher Wrasses, as well as the really small ones like the Possum and Pink Streak live short lives, but the Halichoeres and lined species live longer. Is that true? I once read a post where someone said their LFS got a Six-Lined that they claim was 16 years old.

Not sure about Hogfish either but I’d appreciate it if someone knows.

My lineatus and flame all died out of the blue. Also my rhombroid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back