Lifetime FOWLR 55 Inhabintants

zack1a

I have been considering setting up an FOWLR and would like to hear some ideas. I have a 120 reef already so any inhabitants that would need a future tank upgrade and not going work.

So lets hear it!

Toby puffer is a good suggestion. Me and Stuart both have a blue dot so there could be some bias there :). I really like mine though. Pretty personable little guy.

There are several differet species called a "Blue Dot Puffer", all of which look very similar and which reach an adult size of about 4-5 inches.

i would suggest a valentini puffer. maybe a coral beauty too? i als would suggest the 'smaller' clowns (or at least not a tomato)

the valentini is with a pair of false percs. coral beauty, and a kline butterfly. my valentini basically does his 'own thing' and keeps to himself. no fin nips/issues present!!

I would also like to mention that a dwarf lionfish (dedronchirus sp.) would be a good lifetime inhabitant of your FOWLR. However, that may depend on what other fish you put in there. I'm not sure if puffers are okay to put with lions; perhaps someone with experience will chime in.

When I had a valentini, it was very calm and didn't nip any of my other fish, from what I saw. They're pretty cool to have, just like any toby puffer. :)

The lion fish is a good suggestion but I have already done lion fish thing and they are kind of boring. Is a dwarf more active that the Volition? I guess I kind of had a predator type tank idea in my head but I'm not sure I can house anything in a 55.

I have considered setting up a tank with 2-3 pair of Yellow Headed Jawfish to see if I could breed them. I have also toyed with the idea of a Snow Flake eel.

Anyone have any thought on those ideas?

Keep the responses coming I appreciate your thoughts! This is how I find ideas that had never thought of.

Thanks,

Yellow head jawfish are amazing...they are beautiful and have great personalities. I think you might be okay with three in a 55 gallon, as long as you have a good sandbed and plenty of room for them to make their burrows separately from each other. And who knows, two could pair up, or not.

Again, perhaps someone could shed some light on their experience. You might want to ask the reef forum about that, though. And if you're going to have jawfish, you can't have aggressive fish because they're easily bullied. Also, make sure you have a tight fitting lid because they can and probably will jump.

A snowflake eel would be good to have in a 55g, particularly if you have a small one. I used to have one and she was quite charming. Although they can't be kept with any invertibrates or small fish, because they will eat them...or, at least I know that mine ate a basslet and a filefish. They need to be kept with other aggressive fish, which you've been talking about. That might work better if you want to do an aggressive set up.

I hope this helps.

I think this would make a very active, colorful community with lots of personality. Toby puffer (blue dot, valentini or spotted), christmas wrasse, flame hawk, midas blenny, and a combination of one or two mild mannered damsels, such as yellow tails or talbots or a royal gramma.

Back