Light/hood for Aqueon 30 gallon

punkncat

correction- this is a "29 gallon" tank

I purchased this tank from Petco or similar probably 4-5 years ago. It has a solid black plastic hood that has LED lighting "glued" into the hood. There are something like 6 or so 4 light strips that are all wired together and have the power cord come out the back to a male/female connector with a switch. It has a 12V 1A transformer that I have already had to replace once in that time. A couple of days ago the lights on the right side (facing) started flickering, then went very dim. Upon investigation there is one LED not operational in the second pod/strip of lights and everything after that went very dim. After looking at it I determined that the light pod sections will not come loose from the plastic of the lid.

I searched online and was able to find what I suspect is that same lid, I think they call it the economy lid, but was unable to find that available for sale in the size I need. They have a "deluxe" lid/light combo that costs about $10 less than I paid for the tank with the lid included. I went looking around online and have found led strips that are designed for under car lighting, but are waterproof. Anything else I could find is either related to accent lighting (in a clear or colored tube) or just the "raw" strips that are not protected from the wet enviro.

The under car ones will probably work for light but doubt they are of a rating that would be similar to a "sunlight" bulb.

Does anyone have a helpful suggestion or possibly a link to something I can use to replace these lights?
I prefer not to swap to a glass top and cannot use a standard type light with this lid.

Last edited:

There is a phone # listed @ the bottom of the page.

Yup, noted that and also that they don't offer anything aside from the "deluxe lid. I am looking more for an 'out of the box' solution as otherwise I might as well just buy a new tank and get the lid as well for a few $$ more.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

My experience…is the lids cost just as much as the tank kit…as you’ve found. As for LED replacement…I don’t see why the strips wouldn’t work but maybe look at something like this?

LED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light Submersible Underwater Crystal Glass LEDs IP68 Waterproof Lights Strip Bar, 15 Inch https://a.co/d/hsK3DB5

I have had really good service out of one of the "cheapy" lights along this line:

on another tank I have in the house. The light itself works fine. The issue with going that way is you either go open top or glass top, which the other tank is. The tank with the solid plastic lid evaporates about a gallon every two weeks or so. The glass top tank is much more open and goes through about 4-5 gallons evaporated in that same time frame.

Just the same, the generic glass lids are sub $20 and so is the light. It may well end up being the solution I don't want.

Then again…could buy a new kit…now you have a quarantine tank available…or could always sell the tank and equipment to a local and recoup some of the cost. Not sure what a 29 gallon kit goes for these days

Then again…could buy a new kit…now you have a quarantine tank available…or could always sell the tank and equipment to a local and recoup some of the cost. Not sure what a 29 gallon kit goes for these days

We got the 29 for the office room just for something else to look at. When we first set it up it had a lot of variety. As time has gone on, and as with any tank, I have a big Angelfish and a big Red-Tailed Shark, a couple of dither fish left and nothing else can go in until one or both of those big ones die off. The other tank was/is my son's tank, also a 29. He moved out and the house he rents in is not a good place for it to be, so I inherited it.

I have kept a variety of fish tanks over the years, salt, fresh, plant, coral, all fish....it's easy to forget the eventuality of having a "two fish" tank. I am contemplating breaking down the other as there is one Angelfish and a metric butt ton of loaches in there. I worry that the Angel may die in the move from being beat to death. At the same time, there is very little value to having a tank set in a guest room you don't visit and have to pour 10+ gallons in a month. (the lid really sucks)

I ended up going the cheap and easy way on the lights for the "enclosed" hood model.

I went in and removed all the little LED clusters from the hood, then used some snips to cut off all the little alignment tabs. I then used some silicone adhesive to glue in one of those cheapo Chinese Amazon light strips. I haven't used it long enough to ascertain how well it is going to do while enclosed in there at the same time with all that humidity. Just due to the nature of the hood I know it's going to be far worse than sitting in the open/over a glass top.

Time will tell but was willing to 'risk' the $25 it cost to engineer this wonder of design.

Back