lighting 36x36 sps tank, help :)

dmilne85

i just bought a new tank and here is my situation. So i ask that you lend me your thoughts, thanks! :)

As of now i have a 120 gallon(4x2x2 ft) with the current lighting in my canopy:
-4x48 t5's in individual reflectors w/ icecap ballast
-2x 250 watt hqi metal halides in lumenarc mini reflectors w/icecap ballast

my new tank: 150 gallon marineland (36x36x27)- looking at these demensions you can already see that my lighting on the 120 wont fit over.

Secondly, i opted not to buy canopy because of how low it was(wouldnt allow much room for mh's) and it cost 550 dollars. I need to decide how to light this tank and it will be hosting sps only.
Should i buy new reflectors/t5 bulbs that are a foot shorter and shallow metal halide reflectors that would allow me to buy canopy and fit lights in them?

OR do i ditch the canopy and buy some sort of pendant/lighting system that looks pretty. i estimate that will cost just about the same. However im at a complete loss on what products are out there that can offer me the amount of light im currently packing into my 120. i like icecap t5's but they only make retrofiting systems, no other t5 manufatures have seem to catch on to the high ouput ballast yet.

i will add that i like the idea of the 36'' 10 bulb ati t5 power module but cant get past the idea that its not overdriven. it doesnt seem like 10x36=360 watts over a 150 is enough light?
are there any t5 units that would be suitable enough to grow sps at all levels for a ( 36x36x27 )150 gallon tank??

I have this same tank and am going with a 2x400w mh setup. I might add 6x39w t5 to suppliment, but we will see how the 400's look.

It looks like you really want to go with T-5's, but what about 3 250w MH's in a triangle formation. You could probably throw in a couple T-5's for actinics.

im probably 50/50 on whether to go with all t5. i love the look of halides however im having a hard time finding a good looking/well working lighting unit that can sit above the tank?

i did see this which looks awesome... just a "little" expensive ** *sfiligoi* Infinity XR6- 1 x 400 watt with T5

Last edited:
they are a little pricey but well worth it imo. I would stick with 250w but thats just me. All of my favorite sps tanks are lit that way and do just fine.

Back