Lighting a 24x24x12 on a budget

CoRPS

Big Time Reefer
Not a super tight college student budget but something that will grow SPS. Don't really care whether it's MH, LED or T5, though, I do like some shimmer.

Anything I can do for around $200?

For that kind of budget your pretty limited. Might want to check out the Reef Breeders Super Lux or the Mars aqua or similar.

You could get any of those used for that range.

How much do you like the shimmer? - this will rule out T5 and some kinds of LEDs if you have to have it. Do you have any heat concerns or bulb replacement cost issues? Do you want a hanging fixture with an open top, or will these be in a hood? Do you care more about features for you (like thunderstorms, dusk/dawn) or pure coral health - there is sometimes quite a tradeoff. Lastly, what kind of SPS - montis, birdsnest and stylos are super easy and there are many kinds of acropora that have different requirements. There is more to consider than just the initial cost.

More concerned with coral growth than ree acting thunderstorms that's for sure. $200 isn't a set budget, just remembering being able to buy t5 fixtures for very cheap back in the day.

The tank is going to be open top... with that said I live in Florida and the house stays @ 78 during the day. Not sure how much a MH will heat things up in there. Didn't think it'd be much assuming no hood.

Will look into the brands mentioned

They all grow coral and there are more than a few choices for less than $200.

You need to shop and make up your own mind. Pick one or two and ask about them. The features of MH, t5 and leds are all so different it's foolish to even talk about which one is BEST. The answer is which one is best for you.

I like the AI Prime, it says it's rated for 24x24 but I'm not sure what it will be like toward the ends of the tank. I like the simplicity and iPhone app. I'd LIKE to eventually bolt a small t5 fixture onto it depending on coral growth since, IME, t5 worked very well for growth in both sps and softies.

The AI Prime is cheap, clean looking and from what I can tell from the internet... reliable.

I like the AI Prime, it says it's rated for 24x24 but I'm not sure what it will be like toward the ends of the tank. I like the simplicity and iPhone app. I'd LIKE to eventually bolt a small t5 fixture onto it depending on coral growth since, IME, t5 worked very well for growth in both sps and softies.

The AI Prime is cheap, clean looking and from what I can tell from the internet... reliable.

If you planning on SPS you will get about a 12 X 12 area that would be fine with the Prime. For a 2' square area and SPS I wouldn't go with less than a Hydra 52, I currently run 2 Hydra 26's on my 18" cube and a Prime on a 10" cube.

A used 4 24 X 4 ATI fixture should fit the bill. I will be using my Giesemann Mattrix 24 x 4 over my future IM Lagoon 25.

If you planning on SPS you will get about a 12 X 12 area that would be fine with the Prime. For a 2' square area and SPS I wouldn't go with less than a Hydra 52, I currently run 2 Hydra 26's on my 18" cube and a Prime on a 10" cube.

Gotcha, good info. What about dual prime? Same as a 52 no? Figure I start with a prime and get a second one once the reef matures enough (stable) for sps.

Gotcha, good info. What about dual prime? Same as a 52 no? Figure I start with a prime and get a second one once the reef matures enough (stable) for sps.

Dual Prime would be the same as Hydra 26, it would take 3 primes to equal the output of a Hydra 52.

Back