Lighting a 90 gallon tank under $400

AquaWave523

Ok, I only want Softies and corals that arent insanely hard to keep. What kind of lightings do you all recommend? I was thinking T5s? or VHOs? I dont want to keep the most delicate corals, that would just require too much attention.

Right now, ii have mushrooms and xenias and zoas.

I run a 90 gallon tank...thanks!

Any link to fixtures would be great.

I would say check out your local craigslist.

If you're looking for something cheap there's always aquatraders which will provide you with a basic setup for a great price.

I have a 92 gallon mixed reef and I run 1-250w 20,000k metal halide and 4x39w t5s. Honestly Id like to add another 250w when funds are available

I went with T5 retro's and 175W MH and just run the MH for 5 hrs and T5' the other 4.
But I keep lps too though and you may want to later on too

what's the price range for that type of setup? I wouldnt mind just keeping all softies as they are corals too....so anything under $300 is good for me. Any recommendations?

I bought all my lights used of graigslist they are all retro fix though so I had to build a canopy but I picked all of them up for $280

ya i'm kinda cheap LOL. I pick alot of stuff up used and make my own sumps, build my stands. I like to save my $ for coral ya know:rollface:

i hear ya! i want to build a bigger sump, my wet/dry isnt a wet dry anymore. I'm thinking 20 gallons or some rubber maid container to turn over the water much more.

Do you know of any good setup on dr.foster or marine depot or hello lights? if you can suggest a few, i'll just buy it. I just like new stuff...i dont have a lot of faith using used things. lol just a pet peeve of mines.

yes t-5 and check ebay I bought a new tek light and it came with free shipping and cheapo bulbs but you can upgrade the bulbs thru them at a good price

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436363#post15436363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kzickovich
yes t-5 and check ebay I bought a new tek light and it came with free shipping and cheapo bulbs but you can upgrade the bulbs thru them at a good price

Please show me?

Go to http://www.aquatraders.com and check out their lights. I was very skeptical but I purchased a 150 watt MH with 28 watt t5 fixture, and I couldent be happier It is very good quality for the price and the 150watt 15,000k bulb it came with is awesome. Im very happy so is my coral and it cost me $99 including shipping.

alright, what models are good for light fixtures?

how much watt should i be looking for to keep LPS and softies? i dont know if i want metal halides since they take up so much electricity and is expensive. I dont mind keeping all my corals high in the tank...and the hardier stuff like mushrooms at the bottom. How much watts do i need? im going to a lfs after work or this sat to pick a light fixture up for my tank.

thanks everyone for your help!

badwrasse: thanks buddy for all your inputs. :)

Back