Lighting Advice for switching bulbs (SPS tank)

gig

So I typically swap out my bulbs every 6-7 months, I run the following on my 180 SPS tank

4 72" VHO's
4 36" T5's (2 side by side)

So I decided to switch from this config (front to back)

UVL 454
ATI blue +
UVL Aquasun
ATI purple +
UVL 454
UVL 454

the aquasun is my daylight bulb and really overpowers all the other bulbs, making the tank too "white", but not bad

so today I got my new bulbs and switched to

UVL 454
ATI purple +
UVL 454
ATI coral +
UVL 454
UVL 454

so added in another 454, (I really like this bulb, it's like a blue +) and swapped out the blue + with a coral + that is more white than blue. that becomes my daylight full spectrum bulb.

so the tank is much bluer, which I'll get used to, but should I acclimate the bulbs?

maybe run them a couple hours less per day for a week, then increase an hour until I am back to my normal schedule?

Thanks!

You might be the only one on the forum still using VHO's as your primary light source... :p

I don't think you'll need to worry about aclimating them to the new lights as it shouldn't be much of a jump in par. But, if you want to be on the safe side lower the photoperiod as mentioned.

You might be the only one on the forum still using VHO's as your primary light source... :p

I don't think you'll need to worry about aclimating them to the new lights as it shouldn't be much of a jump in par. But, if you want to be on the safe side lower the photoperiod as mentioned.

LOL, I started the reef hobby (before I was FOWLR) 8-9 years ago with 4 72" VHO's, I decided it wasn't enough light for even LPS, so I upgraded to 4 36" T5's, I've had good success. I will hold out for another year before I take the LED plunge.

here's a recent pic of my tank, but not a FTS, this is before the lighting change though

1552ro5.jpg

Back