lighting ballast get real hot??

daisybud

I just bought a coralife aqualight 150 watt, 14000K, HQI Lamp, it hangs on the tank. The ballast gets so hot I can hardly touch it. Is that normal? I put iton a ceramic tile for now. I have it plugged in to a strip with only the one pump on it. would it make a difference if I plugged it into the wall?

mine get pretty hot too

-was thinking of builiding a little stand for them with a fan someday

A heat sink is usually recommended by some ballast manufacturers. They can be purchased or DIY made with aluminum. Here is a pic of my heat sink I made for 3 400w MH Ballasts and 1 VHO Ballast. They really work at dissipating the heat and will keep your ballast running much cooler, which IMO will also extend ballast life.
94655IceCap_Ballast_Heatsink.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8068288#post8068288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by druce
mine get pretty hot too

-was thinking of builiding a little stand for them with a fan someday
Thanks Druce...I was thinking the same thing about the fan, but since I built the heat sink, the ballasts stay very cool..only warm to the touch and I realized the fan was not even needed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8068593#post8068593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by druce
where did you get the stand at?
I made it using scrap aluminum I found in my neighbors trash can.....and purchased a few alum. pieces & Stainless nuts/bolts from Home Depot.
Here is a pic of the Ballast Stand in use...
115-1529_IMG.jpg

Also Here is a pic of another Heat Sink I made for my UV Ballast. I also used scrap aluminum square tubing..and drilled a bunch of holes in it.

117-1738_IMGLargeWebview.jpg

wow, looks really nice - now you gave me the idea to put the ballasts in my furnace room and run the wires thru the wall to the tank.

dunno to thank you or curse you now....

never been in a hobby that led to so much random carpentry

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8068671#post8068671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by druce
dunno to thank you or curse you now....
LOL..:lol:
Here is a link to a HEATSINK
FWIW, I used these as the basis for my heatsink and just connected these together with the scrap alum......

Good Luck.....and happy carpentrying.....:p

Back