Lighting for 46 bowfront

bcb577

I currently have a 10 gallon nano up and running for almost 2 years now. I have an empty 46 gallon bow front that I'm looking to build. I just purchased an aquaclear 70 filter as my first piece of the puzzle. My question is what kind of light/lights can I buy that's not gonna break the bank?I really like some of the kessels I've seen but the ones I saw were almost 300.00 dollars for one fixture and there's no way I can afford two. I know the support accross the center would cast a shadow with using one kessel in the middle. I also know in this hobby you get what you pay for so I know I can't be too cheap. I want to keep mostly softies and lps .right now the lighting is the only thing holding this build up. I'm looking for a lighting system that can attach to the tank,something I wouldn't have to hang from the ceiling.

I heard a lot of people using the chinese black boxes. I too am shopping to new lightings and so far I am stuck on kessils or those black boxes

I would think that a couple of Kessil 150/160s would be fine for the corals you're talking about. They are a little pricey but do come up used in the For Sale section pretty often. Otherwise I'm sure there are many LED fixtures that should work for you, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm love the shimmer of single point lighting so the Kessils are the only LEDs I've looked into.

For comparison I have a 46 Bow with two 150W MH HQI and two 96W PC actinic and have some success with acros up high. Picture below.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0320-edit.jpg
    IMG_0320-edit.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1
I would think that a couple of Kessil 150/160s would be fine for the corals you're talking about. They are a little pricey but do come up used in the For Sale section pretty often. Otherwise I'm sure there are many LED fixtures that should work for you, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm love the shimmer of single point lighting so the Kessils are the only LEDs I've looked into.

For comparison I have a 46 Bow with two 150W MH HQI and two 96W PC actinic and have some success with acros up high. Picture below.

Gary

I think it is better to buy anything from a dealer so you get warranty. You never know how well the stuff has been taken care of with a private party

Thanks guys I have been looking at the Chinese black boxes,and I appreciate hearing that some are sold used on here,but with this build I'm trying to go with new everything except my tank and stand

Back