lighting for a 29 bio cube

KAW750SS

I will be downgrading here pretty soon and I think I will get a bio cube. I plan on the 29G size. I understand they have lights but I was wondering if I wanted to keep some of my monti caps and a clam, should I keep my 150wMH I have now? Or should I maybe go with a 70W Mh clamp on?

any input on what some of you people are running will help!

dont think it would be over kill?

I have acans and some other softies, I do not want to burn them up! But being able to use my retro fit 150 would be a lot easier.

They make a version of the BioCube29, and also of the NanoCube28, that comes with a 150w MH from the factory. Lot's of people run that combo around here (on both DIY and AIO).

You should be able to grow anything under it (clams, SPS, etc). Only problem is heat, a lot of people end up using chillers, or some type of evaporate fan to cool the water at a minimum.

they dont make what a version of the 29 biocube? If youre talking about a version with a 150W mh, I am just going to use my retro kit I already have on my current tank.

Does the tank already have lighting, ie 150w MH or is there no lighting at all, and you're looking for input on lighting?

If it were my money, I'd consider LED's of some type.

would LEDs support clams and monti caps? Im not really sold on the LEDs. I read that if the bulbs go out, you cant replace them.

Also I am 99% sure I will jus stick with a 150W MH because I DO already have the fixture and the ballast on that thing isnt even a year old.

Yes, LED will. Plenty of successful LED tanks in the SPS forum and my tank is LED with 3 clams and a bunch of SPS.

well what about if the LEDs go out. Can you replace the bulbs? Ive heard that you have to buy a whole new system when the bulbs go out.

Depends on the light. DIY LED would be easy (and cheap) to swap out a single LED. Other commercially available fixtures vary a whole bunch, some have replaceable emitters and others look like they would be more of a "throw it away and replace" type situation. Just choose your fixture wisely.

Back