lighting for a 30 long

stanlalee

that wont cut it. you either need two 150w halides or a single 250w halide with an advanced reflector like a Lumen Max to get full coverage. I use a 150wx2 sunpod myself. not that you couldn't keep what you want to keep with thoughtout placement but the tank will simply dim on the ends if you put that up.

addicted2reefin

i have a 175 hung over my 20L and so far no problems, i keep softies on the side, i eventually want to move it to a all sps tank. i really dont see TOO much dimming on the ends, but there is some

stanlalee

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14819992#post14819992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by addicted2reefin
i have a 175 hung over my 20L and so far no problems, i keep softies on the side, i eventually want to move it to a all sps tank. i really dont see TOO much dimming on the ends, but there is some

a 20g long is 30" meaning there is only 3" to either side outside the typical range of a MH. a 30g long is 36" so half a foot on each side of a 3ft tank will be poorly covered. you also have a single ended 175w and likely a better reflector and height options than a clip on. I did state a single bulb would work fine with a decent reflector but I suggested 250w because you still have to raise it more to get the coverage which cost intensity and the 150w bulbs are fairly weak IMO even compared to 175w bulbs.

lordmbsa

i was gona go 250w aqua medic but i dont like drilling holes in my roof and dont wanna go with a hood either i mite be going with 2 175w hqi

stanlalee

you could always use hanging arms if you dont mind drilling a few starter holes in your stand instead of the ceiling. would make for alot better reflector and height options to get full coverage than a clip on if you wanted to use a single halide
Picture093.jpg

I see alot of online stores only have the 250wx2 sunpod but if you can find a 150wx2 36" sunpod new or used its pretty slick. its what I use on my 30g long
30gallonsetup120.jpg

jamierk

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14822369#post14822369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stanlalee
you could always use hanging arms if you dont mind drilling a few starter holes in your stand instead of the ceiling. would make for alot better reflector and height options to get full coverage than a clip on if you wanted to use a single halide
Picture093.jpg

I see alot of online stores only have the 250wx2 sunpod but if you can find a 150wx2 36" sunpod new or used its pretty slick. its what I use on my 30g long
30gallonsetup120.jpg

stanlalee, may i ask what size of tank and ballast/wattage/globe the first pic is?

Thanks

Jamie

lordmbsa

its ok im gonna make a stand that goes under my tank stand and legs will be held by the tank stand and just bolt up my new ice capp 400w single ended pendant i cant waight!!!!!!