Lighting for a 75G.

ToolmanRR

Premium Member
I'm setting up a 75g (48W x 18D x 21H) that will consist of about 60% SPS and the rest LPS, some softies and of course a few fish.
I want to use HM but am not sure if 150w, 175w or 250w should be used. (I'll have VHOs when the MH aren't on but this thread is about the MH only)
Also, what are the best reflectors being sold now? (I know that is a can of worm)
Money isn't the issue, quality and performance are though.

What are your suggestions and/or experiences?

IMO, based on what you've said, I'd go with 2x250's with either Lumenarc minis or Lumenbright minis for reflectors.

Price difference between 175's vs 250's is very small. IMO 150's would be enough.

LOL, I'm confused. :rolleye1:
You said you would go with 2x250's, but then you say 150's would be enough. That looks like two different answers. :)

Oops.

IMO the 150's would not be enough.

That's what I meant to write. ;) Sorry about the confusion.

What's the difference between the Lumenarc minis and the Lumenbright minis as far as performance and light distribution goes? IYO, are they the best ones out there? Anything compairable?

From what I've seen, and from what I've read, those 2 are the best reflectors out there.

I said the minis just because of the size (obviously). The regular lumenbrights & lumenarcs would be wider then a standard 75.

Probably a way oversimplified explaination, but the lumenbrights are designed to be run higher off the water surface, giving the best spread while still allowing for good penetration. The obvious advantage is there are less heat issues.

Although I would say the lumenbrights are better reflectors, the lumenarcs are a very good option also.

Here's a good read on Lumenbrights. RK Lumenbright Article

The lumen max 3, lumenarc's and lumen brights are all great. The bright's and max's distribute the light a bit wider than the arc's, but the arc's seem to penetrate better. All are excellent and will cover that tank just fine. Go with 2x250 like phenom said or get a 6x48" t5 fixture with individual reflectors and good ati bulbs. Either or will work well for that tank and allow you to keep anything..

i was using halides 2x250 on my 75 and today i just bought a nove extreme pro... much brighter, atleast it seems to be. i didnt run any actinics and i used 2 14k bulbs and i like the t5s much better, and less energy. imo t5s are the way to go

Back